How do I make the background transparent?

Discuss Pixelmator for iOS and mobile image editing.

2019-03-01 18:23:53

I have a black & white line drawing. I only need the lines so I can color it. How do I get rid of the white background?

2019-08-30 20:36:17

Redd, I’m fairly new to the app but I believe you can use the Select > Color option and just delete the selected. If it’s all a uniform color, should be easy enough. Could get difficult if your black lines aren’t solid, as in they transition from the white background to black lines.

2019-08-31 06:40:31

Hi ReddMage.
In the macOS versions of Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro you can use Mask to Alpha to use intensity as opacity. In Pixelmator for iOS I'd use Blending modes.
To make the black lines stand out and be able to colour beneath:
1. Set the layer with the black lines to a blend mode of Multiply (Tools > Format > (Style))
2. Create a new layer and place it below the layer with the black lines.
3. Colour on this new layer.
Where the top layer is fully white (1) it will multiply 1 by the colour behind it and leave it unchanged. Where the top layer is fully black (0) it will multiply 0 by the colour behind it and turn it black.
Hope this helps.
- Stef.
(edit) Jackx36's solution of Select Color works well. Apparently my ego is of a size this morning that I just ignored it and steamrollered my own in there.