Pixelmator for iOS slow and buggy for me

Discuss Pixelmator for iOS and mobile image editing.

2020-11-01 20:22:20

Not sure if others have experienced this. I use Pixelmator for iOS a LOT. But I’m still having lots of bug issues since they did the big refresh/update earlier this year. File folder interface is inconsistent, crashes still occur (no lost photos recently thankfully) but most frustrating of all is the fact that it takes 15-20 seconds to close a project so I can go to another. Since the quality of a resize is way better if you open up a layer as a whole new project. I typically resize things by closing the current project and opening up another project to do the resizing. Then I close that and reopen the main project. It’s made an already tedious process...even worse. I end up screaming at my iPad. It seems crazy to me that a program running on such a high-end tablet would experience this. I know 15-20 seconds doesn’t seem horrible when you read it - but it feels like a lifetime. I have a 2020 iPad Pro. It’s a generally zippy and always up to date device. This app is the only one that gives me problems. Any news on fixes to this issue?

2020-11-03 10:58:08

I don't think these are common issues, to be honest, so it would be really great if you could email us about this support@pixelmator.com — we'd love to dig deeper and get some reproducible steps for your issues!

2020-12-06 17:37:29

Just to follow up in case others are having this problem. I was able to resolve the issue by completely deleted the app and reinstalling it which appears to have corrected the issue. My guess is there were some hidden files (possibly leftovers from previous builds of the app) which were causing the problem. But a complete Delete/Reinstall did the trick. Now it's back to being snappy. Just a note though the "Offload" / Reinstall doesn't do the trick. It has to be a complete delete/reinstall.

2020-12-11 05:33:14

I am also facing the same issue of being slow. I tried Deleting/Reinstalling but the issue is still there. May be we have to upgrade the phone itself. I am currently using iPhone 6 plus ios 13. May be this is the problem.

2020-12-18 16:35:43

Nice troubleshooting, Ben! Thanks for sharing. :pray:

Prakash, if you haven't already, could you shoot us a quick email to support@pixelmator.com about this? We'll take it from there.

2021-03-20 17:54:41

3 month follow up...Pixelmator for iOS (using a fully updated iPad Pro 2020) has returned to being buggy. When you click the “image” button (which saves and returns to the finder screen) it takes a long time for the transition to complete. Slowly taking longer and longer with each passing day. For me this is a big inconvenience, since I’m frequently switching between images. (This is due to the fact that in order to resize a layer and maintain any degree of image quality, I have to paste the later as a separate image / resize that image / then copy/paste it back in the main image. It’d be nice to know what is causing this - is there a recommended maximum number of projects one should stick to within the Pixelmator folder? If so what would that be? Do some of my older project files cause the problem? Any ideas would be much appreciated, I don’t want to have to delete and reinstall this every 2 months.

2021-03-25 12:15:46

It’d be nice to know what is causing this - is there a recommended maximum number of projects one should stick to within the Pixelmator folder? If so what would that be? Do some of my older project files cause the problem? Any ideas would be much appreciated, I don’t want to have to delete and reinstall this every 2 months.
As much as I'd like to say something positive, it's probably best to be straight here — it's difficult to say what could be causing these loading issues or suggest any workarounds at this point. I realize, though, that the issue has been dragging for quite some time now and it definitely isn't bringing the experience we'd want for you or anyone else using Pixelmator. Unfortunately, we're stuck unable to reproduce the issue. Our guess is that it's either specific to a very narrow range of devices, or there are some very specific conditions behind it. But there's good news, too. We're currently working on a major new update that'll focus on different structural improvements in Pixelmator, including document opening and saving. We'd be happy to invite you to the Pixelmator beta program once we have one ready, to see if these improvements change anything on your end of things.

2021-04-26 23:23:49

Yes, I’d be happy to check that out. I,also plan on getting a new M1 iPad as soon as it’s available. Gotta say...very much hoping this increase in power translates to the long awaited Pixelmator pro for iPad...or at least a revamped normal Pixelmator. I hate getting bogged down with too many features, which is why Pixelmator iOS is my preference over affinity or photoshop. Too much crap I’ll never use that makes finding the tools I Do use, that much harder. Thanks

2021-05-03 13:55:16

Yes, I’d be happy to check that out.
Great! If you haven't already, could you email us at support@pixelmator.com so that we know where to reach you when the beta is ready?