Announcing the Pixelmator Pro Upgrade Program

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2019-09-26 15:54:28

The time has come. It’s time for us to give all of you still using the original Pixelmator a friendly nudge to check out Pixelmator Pro, the successor to the image editor you know and love. And to do that, we’ve created a special Upgrade page outlining all the goodness of Pixelmator Pro.

The new page includes an extremely in-depth comparison of the two apps, some FAQs about the upgrade, and a little roadmap that even existing Pixelmator Pro users will find very interesting. Naturally, there’s an upgrade discount of up to 50% for all of you who purchased the original Pixelmator from the Mac App Store.

If you think it took us a while to get this page together, you’d definitely be right. But, to be honest, we’ve just been focusing like crazy on Pixelmator Pro itself and making the app as good as it can be. When (nearly two years ago now) we launched Pixelmator Pro, its average worldwide rating was stuck at 3.7 for about a year and that told us there was a whole bunch of things, large and small, that need to be improved. So we focused on doing just that. With lots of free updates (27 and counting) since then, we’re incredibly proud to see the app now rated 4.7 worldwide with over 4,000 ratings and over 3,300 five-star ratings. And we’re also incredibly proud of the Mac App of the Year award it received from Apple as well.

What’s more, when Pixelmator Pro launched, app bundles (and, by extension, upgrade bundles) were not yet available on the Mac App Store. So, now that we can provide an upgrade discount, we think it’s a great time to give you existing Pixelmator users a handy page to answer all the questions you might have about upgrading to Pixelmator Pro and some more information on the app itself.

Visit the new Upgrade to Pixelmator Pro page to see why so many people have already made the switch. And if you have any other questions, we’re always here to answer them either in the comments or via email at support@pixelmator.com.

2019-09-28 12:08:17

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but the upgrade link only provides a $5 discount (far from the 50%).

2019-09-28 13:11:31

Hi Chris, in that case, you would've bought Pixelmator while it was on sale. The bundle subtracts the price you paid for the original from the total, meaning people who paid full price see a discount of around 40-50%, while those who got it on sale see what you’re seeing. Most people did pay full price, but this is the biggest drawback of bundles as all we can do is set one price for it and everything else is automatic. But this is the only way we can currently provide an upgrade discount at all. In light of all this, we’re considering having a sale in the not too distant future for people like you, so if you’re subscribed to our newsletter, you should get some news about that at some point down the line.

2019-09-28 15:33:06

Hello,

The App Store lists Pixelmator Pro Upgrade Bundle for £10 more than Pixelmator Pro itself. Am I looking at the correct App?

Thanks,
Andrew

2019-09-29 10:07:21

by Andrew Mees Hello,

The App Store lists Pixelmator Pro Upgrade Bundle for £10 more than Pixelmator Pro itself. Am I looking at the correct App?

Thanks,
Andrew
Looks like you’re seeing the full price without any discount, so I guess the Mac App Store isn’t registering your Pixelmator purchase. Did you buy Pixelmator using the same Apple ID? Also, do you remember whether you bought it with a discount or at the full price?

2019-09-29 15:16:18

I have the same issue as Andrew. Buying the Pro version alone is $39.99. Buying it as a bundle is $49.99. Doesn't seem like an upgrade to buy the bundle. Yes, I did purchase the original Pixelmator from the Apple Store in 2013 for $14.99. Maybe there's no upgrade plan for a purchase that old?

Best wishes,
Mike

2019-09-29 19:24:37

Similar issue for me on the Canadian app store. I bought the original for $14.99 in 2012 and both the bundle and app are showing the same price ($55 Cdn).

Sean

2019-09-30 09:02:14

by Mike Robinson I have the same issue as Andrew. Buying the Pro version alone is $39.99. Buying it as a bundle is $49.99. Doesn't seem like an upgrade to buy the bundle. Yes, I did purchase the original Pixelmator from the Apple Store in 2013 for $14.99. Maybe there's no upgrade plan for a purchase that old?

Best wishes,
Mike
The age of the purchase shouldn't matter, as long as the Mac App Store can see you bought the original Pixelmator, it should subtract that amount from the bundle price. However, as you got the app on sale, the discount wouldn't be all that big ($5, if I'm not mistaken). In your case, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for our upcoming upgrade sale. If you'd like to be notified about it, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter.
by WindsorSean Similar issue for me on the Canadian app store. I bought the original for $14.99 in 2012 and both the bundle and app are showing the same price ($55 Cdn).

Sean
This is another case of the discount being small because you got the original Pixelmator on sale. Except that exchange rate fluctuations are also having an effect on the discount and eliminating it, since the US dollar went up against the Canadian one, and the US dollar is used for the base price in every region. When you bought Pixelmator, the exchange rate was 1-1, and now that it's changed, prices in the Canadian App Store have gone up and taking away $14.99 has little effect. As mentioned above, this is far from ideal but is currently the only way we can provide a permanent upgrade discount without putting the app on sale for everyone. As a result, we'll be having an upgrade sale in the not too distant future.

2019-09-30 22:00:09

by Andrius
Looks like you’re seeing the full price without any discount, so I guess the Mac App Store isn’t registering your Pixelmator purchase. Did you buy Pixelmator using the same Apple ID? Also, do you remember whether you bought it with a discount or at the full price?
Hello Andrius,
I just realised I was working for Apple at the time and probably got a code for Pixelmator. Although 50% of zero is still zero so the App store maths don't work out.
I will purchase it, you more than deserve the full price for such a great App.

2019-10-01 07:44:22

by Andrew Mees 2019-09-30 22:00:09
Hello Andrius,
I just realised I was working for Apple at the time and probably got a code for Pixelmator. Although 50% of zero is still zero so the App store maths don't work out.
I will purchase it, you more than deserve the full price for such a great App.
Yay, a happy ending!

2019-10-01 10:18:44

This was the nudge that I needed. Thanks again! Now onto brush testing!

2019-10-01 11:06:15

by Andrew R. Reimisch 2019-10-01 07:21:55 This was the nudge that I needed. Thanks again! Now onto brush testing!
Sweet, hope you like the improved painting engine!

2019-10-01 19:08:36

by Andrius This is another case of the discount being small because you got the original Pixelmator on sale. Except that exchange rate fluctuations are also having an effect on the discount and eliminating it, since the US dollar went up against the Canadian one, and the US dollar is used for the base price in every region. When you bought Pixelmator, the exchange rate was 1-1, and now that it's changed, prices in the Canadian App Store have gone up and taking away $14.99 has little effect. As mentioned above, this is far from ideal but is currently the only way we can provide a permanent upgrade discount without putting the app on sale for everyone. As a result, we'll be having an upgrade sale in the not too distant future.
Thanks for taking the time to explain! I'm someone who rarely does photo editing outside of my phone and usually has simple needs so it's hard to justify spending much on an app, but will definitely stay tuned for the upgrade sale. The ability to work with vector formats definitely has me interested for occasional promotional material for a non-profit I volunteer with (doing that in Pages is never fun!).