Can I upgrade pixelmator to pixelmator PRO in a MAC?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2017-10-28 06:38:48

I was wondering if I can just upgrade my pixelmator App to the Pro version

2017-10-28 11:55:41

Pixelmator PRO will be a completely new app in the App Store.

2017-10-30 16:20:57

I came here because I read a post where someone was mentioning Pixelmator, but your website says it's not even out yet?

2017-10-30 17:08:10

Pixelmator has been out for many years now. Pixelmator PRO however not yet.

2017-11-07 13:46:07

Will Pixelmator still be updated? Or does PRO replace Pixelmator completely?

2017-11-09 06:52:48

Pixelmator is here to stay - we'll continue the development and support for this app even after Pixelmator Pro release for sure.

2017-11-23 19:45:27

Will Pixelmator Pro due everything better than Pixelmator Oldschool?

I'm considering which one to buy.

2017-11-25 02:30:37

Is there a special upgrade price for those of us who have been loyal Pixelmator users for years?

2017-11-25 19:11:35

Yes... Pixelmator Pro will be offered at a discounted price for a few weeks so those that want to upgrade can do that at a lower price.

2017-11-29 14:34:21

How do we get this discount? The app store does not offer it? Thanks

2017-11-29 20:37:57

The current price of $59 is the discoun price.

2017-11-29 23:35:58

So the price is the same for everybody. Thanks for the incentive to your once loyal users that helped you get off the ground.

2017-11-30 00:12:39

I just paid full list price for Pixelmator in October. Are you going to do anything at all for customers that bought it so recently?

2017-11-30 01:30:14

I am a fan of Pixelmator for years.
- Pixelmator has stopped upgrading for long long time.
- Pixelmator Pro now appears as a 100% new app for pixelmator's user.

Pixelmator's fans have been dropped?

2017-11-30 12:12:31

Seems a shame that those of us the have supported Pixelmator have not been recognised for their loyalty and support. Offering an upgrade price for loyal users for the same value as a new purchaser doesn't seem to me to be any recognition for valued users.

A great shame in my opinion!!

2017-11-30 13:18:34

Congratulations for your new Pro version. Looks amazing.I'm glad to work with Pixelmator in many aspects, but I really disagree with the pricing. Is nice to offer a discounted launching price but that's the public price, is not a special price for Pixelmator users. I think it doesn't seem quite fair. Is true, is not an update, but who of us will keep using old version having a Pro? We should have an "upgrading price" better than the public launching price.

2017-11-30 15:13:51

As others are expressing, I'm disappointed that Pixelmator users aren't being offered a discounted price.

Um, not quite. $59 is same price for everyone and has nothing to do with allowing "those that want to upgrade" do do so "at a lower price."

I **was** interested in P.Pro but with this kind of poor customer service I'm instead going to avoid Pixelmator products because it can only lead to one thing, disappointment.

2017-11-30 16:41:04

Very disappointing will be looking at other options.

2017-11-30 17:15:56

Well, what is this release? The old version is abandoned, and there's no advantage for pixelmator users? What a shame?? I never seen this kinda release. For example, I have got discount for upgrading to Scriv**** 3, even the license has been for 2 years! This is not a pro version. It is just changing the name and getting a chance to sell your app more. What about the users who have bought just pixelmator right before the pro version is releasing?

2017-11-30 17:42:43

@webix : The regular Pixelmator is not abandoned and will continue to get updated. Just to remind everybody, Pixelmator Pro is a completely new app and will co-exist alongside your existing Pixelmator version. People like to call it an upgrade and want an upgrade price, but in reality you are buying a new app at a reduced introductionary price. The pricing right now is the best for both existing customers and new users.

Do people upgrade their macs by buying a new one, demand an upgrade price from Apple because they are already a mac owner? In the sofware world and with many other products as well, it is not uncommen that customers buy one version, only to find out that a completely new release gets out a few weeks later. It's an unfortunate case of bad luck, but we cannot blame the team for not warning those that were planning on buying Pixelamtor as Pixelmator Pro has been announced many months before the release.

2017-12-01 00:53:24

Comparing hardware updates to softwares updates is apples and oranges. This is the first time I've seen an alleged new app (same name... Pixelmator > Pixelmator Pro!!!). Does the same things, more professionally... but no upgrade path. Own goal, 100%. There are far more developers that offer upgrades, as most people rightly assumed would happen here. This together with the incompatibility nonsense (Apple just as bad here), just drives people away. I for one will not pursue this any longer despite looking forward to trying it out. Affinity Photo for me! I'm even dumping plain vanilla Pixelmator. I'm hereing so many stories of Mac users heading back to Microsoft... I'm starting to realise why.

2017-12-01 03:15:17

Very disappointed about the lack of a loyalty discount for existing Pixelmator Users. Whilst I accept that its a completely new application which can work alongside the older version, why would anyone want to keep the old app if they buy the pro version - doesn't make any sense at all. Given that the current Price (in Europe) is €64.99, I fail to see how this can be a limited time discount price for all - how much is this app going to cost in the future?? Also, there is no clarity about the forthcoming vectomator App - is that going to be another €60????

I'm so disappointed with the way loyal customers have been treated, I've made the decision today to drop Pixelmator altogether. I've replaced it with Affinity Designer/Photo instead - Cheaper price and free upgrades. Goodbye Pixelmator

2017-12-01 03:51:29

I am sorry to have to say that I totally agree with the other users in this post!
I am among the many users who adopted Pixelmator in the early days, both on MAC and iPad and to be totally dismissed in my opinion, and not given some special treatment for those who supported you in the early days is "piss poor"!
As developers it is well in your realm to "notice" the die hards with discounted upgrade options!
As for the release discount, well everyone gets that, even newbies!
Poor management IMHO!
I for one will not be upgrading, oh sorry its not an upgrade is it? Will not be purchasing the Pro version!
What a shame!

2017-12-01 05:28:43

I am a Pixelmator user, an abandoned application for more than a year.
And now I regret to buy it.

What a shame!

2017-12-01 11:26:31

Guys, I totally understand your frustration, however, here are a few very important points about this situation:

1. The Mac App Store doesn't really have a way of providing discounts to specific users. There's a bit of a workaround by providing an upgrade via in-app purchases, but that's not exactly a great Mac app experience (which we care about very much), and...

2. We didn't want the original Pixelmator to go anywhere. Many people still have and love using it, so it wouldn't be fair to them if they woke up one day with a completely new app instead of one they were used to. As someone who has spent the last two years answering many of your support emails, I know that getting used to new things can be a little tricky. :)

3. Because of all this, we settled on an introductory price for Pixelmator Pro. We plan to raise this price once we ship updates with major new features (and those updates are already in the works). Sure, the price is available to everyone but as loyal Pixelmator users, you're pretty much the first to know about it.

4. And finally, if there was a way to provide loyal users a discount — you can absolutely bet we would do it.

Again, I understand why you feel like this but we didn't make this decision lightly. And trust me, Pixelmator Pro has an amazing future ahead so I personally don't think you'd regret buying it now. However, it's totally up to you and I hope that once you see the updates we're working on, you won't think twice about trying out Pixelmator Pro.