GIF export in Pixelmator Pro

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2017-11-29 14:39:01

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question (new to Pixelmator Pro) but how can you export an image as a gif? I do not have Gif as an option in the format drop down when exporting an image.Image

2017-11-29 20:37:22

Not a stupid question at all, but more 'stupid' that indeed GIF is not an export option. I'm sure this will be added in an upcoming release of Pixelmator Pro.

2017-11-30 09:14:10

Thank you for confirming that I am not being blind.

Crikey - that seems like quite a big omission? I guess gifs will never be relevant for photographers but it should definitely be there for anyone interested in creating web graphics.

2017-11-30 18:14:34

For web graphic-designers I would for now recommend the general version of Pixelmator. It will still be updated and maintained by the team. If you are an existing user of Pixelmator you'll find your 'old' Pixelmator version still available in your applications folder. If you are a new user you can still get a refund from the App Store and buy the general Pixelmator version in stead, or use your existing software and wait til Pixelmator Pro will receive more web-desinger related features.

2018-12-03 10:13:06

GIF is available as an export format in Pixelmator Pro — you'll need to use the Export for Web tool as it's not currently in the general export dialog. We can add it there, of course, but we thought when creating web graphics, you'd use the Export for Web or Slice tools and it's not that relevant for general exports. However, I think at some point we'll create an Export window in Pixelmator Pro that's similar to the original Pixelmator, where GIF is in the "Other" category. Anyway, here's a screenshot of the Export for Web tool's format pop-up menu:

2018-12-03 10:19:56

P.S. Pixelmator Pro is already ahead of the original Pixelmator in terms of UI/web design features, at least in my opinion, both in terms of the number of actual features and when taking into account ease of use.

2020-09-13 03:25:47

How about animated GIFs? PS has QuickTime export.

2020-09-14 12:02:13

PS also has a dedicated animation feature, so QuickTime and animated GIF export does make some sense in that context. :wink: This isn't in our plans for Pixelmator Pro — maybe one day!

2021-07-22 18:42:12

by Andrius 2020-09-14 17:02:13 PS also has a dedicated animation feature, so QuickTime and animated GIF export does make some sense in that context. :wink: This isn't in our plans for Pixelmator Pro — maybe one day!
This is probably one of the main features that I think Pixelmator Pro is missing: allowing you to export a document's layers into an animated GIF. Any comment on if this could be coming soon?

2021-07-27 12:49:45

by Andy Beyer-Bowden 2021-07-22 15:42:12
This is probably one of the main features that I think Pixelmator Pro is missing: allowing you to export a document's layers into an animated GIF. Any comment on if this could be coming soon?
I can only second Andrius's comment above — it's not in our plans for the immediate future but we haven't ruled it out completely either. Sounds vague, I know. :grimacing: We're simply focusing on slightly different things right now. :)

2022-10-20 14:49:23

Might not be a fair statement, but since they already support PNG it might be an easier addition to support export to APNG. It's a more modern format that GIF.