Load selection via click in Pixelmator Pro

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2017-11-30 10:19:36

Hi, part of my workflow is the selection of a shape which I use to delete parts of the unterlying image. In Pixelmator, one could cmd+click the layer to select everything. In Pixelmator Pro, nothing happens. In both apps [cmd]+[alt]+[L] works. Any way to reactive the „click to select“ in Pixelmator Pro?

2017-11-30 18:00:59

You'll find the Load Selection option in the edit menu.

A more confusing way of doing things, that I just want to bring to the team's attention is to do the following.

1) Make sure you have the selection tool selected.
2) Ctrl+click on the layer you want to load as a selection and choose select all
3) Ctrl+click again and now you can choose Load Selection

Hope that helps.

2017-12-14 13:34:31

You've made something easy (that I use very often in the old software) a lot harder. Put it back the way it was.

2017-12-14 13:48:54

@keyman76 : Yes sir!

2018-03-02 23:41:03

Has there been any progress on bringing cmd + click on layer to select its contents back?
Also, the workflow suggested by Sebastiaan didn't work on Pixelmator Pro 1.0.8.

2018-03-07 10:21:43

It's very much on the feature request list and on our minds, too. I never like to make concrete promises, but I reckon this shortcut will make it into Pixelmator Pro sooner rather than later.

As for the feature itself, Command-clicking a layer thumbnail does exactly the same thing as choosing Edit > Load Selection or pressing the Option-Command-L keyboard shortcut.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, Sebastiaan was bringing a potential bug to our attention — that Load Selection doesn't appear in the shortcut menu when Control-clicking the canvas with any selection tool (if there is no active selection). I'd tend to agree, so we'll see if we can add it there as well.