Creating a new white layer

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-02-03 13:32:47

A quick question for you all:
What is the quickest way to create a new fully white layer (either pixel or shape)?
(based on Pixelmator Pro 1.0.7)

I currently do one of the following:
Select layer below where I want the new layer to be created
+ > Shape > Rectangle
Stretch to top-left
Stretch to bottom-right
Ensure that there is no stroke
Ensure that fill is white

Or
Select layer below where I want the new layer to be created
+ > Layer
Select fill tool
Ensure that fill is white
Ensure that Sample all layers is unchecked
Click on canvas

Does anyone have a faster technique?

2018-02-03 17:37:34

I always instinctually just want to add a Color fill effect to an empty layer. But that doesn't work, presumably because it doesn't touch transparent pixels. So I end up doing this:

• command-shift-n (Make a new layer)
• n (paint bucket tool)
• d (reset paint colors to defaults)
• x (switch foreground/background color)
• click (flood fill the empty layer with white)

It's pretty fast, since you can do the first 4 steps entirely with the keyboard, and then the final step is just "click anywhere" which is pretty fast too, haha.

2018-02-05 10:13:01

I personally always do Ivan's method, because I love keyboard shortcuts. But, from Pixelmator Pro 1.0.7, the Color fill effect also works on empty layers, so there's a potentially faster method. If you go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, you can add a shortcut for the Color fill effect (Command-Control-C or something else that is free). Then, you could do Command-Shift-N, Command-Control-C. If your foreground color is white, the fill will automatically be white.

2018-05-28 10:04:29

I've just found a shorter method than Ivan's (and it's entirely keyboard shortcuts). I'm not sure if this is because of a new keyboard shortcut (I'm using Pixelmator Pro 1.0.9) or if it's been there the whole time and I've never noticed.

1. Create new layer: ⌘⇧N
2. Reset paint colours to defaults: D
3. Swap foreground/background colours: X
4: Fill layer: ⌘← (⌘delete)