Some thoughts on Auto Select

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-05-16 21:08:52

(Pixelmator Pro 1.0.9 on macOS 10.13.4 on MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015))
When I work with shapes I frequently fall foul of Auto Select selecting the thing in front of the one I want. I generally work with Auto Select switched on so what happens looks a lot like this:
Grab wrong shape.
Turn Auto Select off.
Select correct shape from layer panel.
Reposition/resize shape.
Forget to turn Auto Select back on.
Wonder why I can't select shapes.
Turn Auto Select back on.

This set me to thinking what things might help me.
1. Visual indicator as to the state of Auto Select. This could either be displayed in the info bar, as some sort of a flourish on the icon of the arrange tool, or as a field within the tools options pane for the Arrange tool. That would make me aware of its state and I wouldn't forget to turn it back on quite so much. (Additionally, if in info bar, or arrange tool option, the Auto Select state could be toggled with a single click.)
2. Sometimes I'll accidentally select a shape or layer when trying to move something. If Pixelmator Pro could differentiate between a click and a click-drag, I could leave AutoSelect on, select the shape from the layers panel, then move it/resize it by dragging it around the screen without selecting the layer/shape that's in front of it.
3. A shortcut key (particularly when coupled with an indicator) would allow a very quick toggle/move/toggle when I need to move something that is hidden behind something else. Failing that, if Auto Select were put on a menu (I haven't found it if it is), I could map a shortcut key to it.

Hopefully this makes some degree of sense. Keep up the good work.

- Stef.
(edited to add Arrange tool and mouse-click toggle to point 1.)

2018-05-17 14:02:43

Very good feature request. Thanks for the suggestion st3f