How do you create a mask from a vector in Pixelmator Pro

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-05-31 22:44:04

It is really hard to figure out some of the stuff in Pixelmator Pro, I cannot believe how much time I have wasted just trying to figure out how you mask to a vector. Still have not figured it out so as a last resort I decided to se if anyone on the forum can help.

This is something that is drop dead easy in Affinity Photo, in fact drag and drop easy.

2018-06-01 06:26:01

Hi Robin.

I use Quick Select to make a selection of the vector, then switch to the layer and Add Mask. The selection will be turned into a mask.

There may be other ways, but this is what I do.

Hope this helps.

- Stef.

2018-06-01 06:28:00

OK, that sounds interesting, does the vector path layer need to be selected in order to do this? I had read somewhere else about doing something like this but could not figure out how to do it. I'll have to try it again.

Thanks!

2018-06-01 06:34:37

by Robin Mair 2018-06-01 05:29:26 ...does the vector path layer need to be selected in order to do this?
No*. I think it's just selecting it as rendered pixels, so you can use the usual selection tools and refine the selection (even invert it if you want) before applying it as a mask.

(edit) *If you have Sample All Layers checked. If you don't have this checked then you would have to have the shape layer selected, but that would be true of a pixel layer, too.