why there is 200 px limitation for stroke of shape line?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-06-24 12:25:46

Hello,

It is easy to create a center trasnparent mask on images by adding a shape like Eclipse or Rectangle, but I found there is 200px limitations, and 100 px limitation if add third one stroke, please check the screenshot:

In this case, it is impossible to flexibly define the width of line.

Is it possible to remove these limitations?

Alex

2018-06-24 15:25:16

Hi Alex.

I don't see what you see. When I set a stroke width I see a soft stop at 100px which I can extend to a hard stop at 200px by holding down the option key. I still see that 100px/200px soft/hard stop when even I add three outlines (Outside, Middle, Inside) to a shape.

I don't think this changes your central point, though which is that you would like to be able to use an outline of greater than 200px. Hopefully someone from the Pixelmator team can address that need.

In the mean time, is there any other way you can achieve the effect that you want?

- Stef.

2018-06-25 03:21:40

Stef,
In the mean time, is there any other way you can achieve the effect that you want?
No.

Actually, I am trying to creative a mask with a web animation, And here is how I do it in Sketch:

http://prntscr.com/jyx35m

I can set 999 px in it,

and here is in Hype:

http://prntscr.com/jyx3u7

there is totally no limit.

if there is no strong reason to limit the width, why not remove the limit please?

Alex

2018-06-25 09:17:50

Righ now, the limit on stroke width exists to keep performance high, but there are a couple workarounds you could use. One workaround is flattening the layer + style and applying a stroke again. The steps for that would be as follows:

1. Add a stroke to your shape, set its width to the maximum.
2. With the Style tool selected, hold down the Option key, then click the Flatten Styles button at the bottom of the Tool Options pane.
3. Add another Stroke to the flattened shape, flatten the styles again, repeat as many times as you need. (You'd be best off using center strokes for this, by the way, as outside strokes can sometimes have gaps between the stroke and the shape).

Another option is adding a rounded rectangle, then adding another rectangle shape and subtracting it from the original rectangle — this will essentially create the same effect as having a very wide stroke.