Which JPG to choose?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-07-03 14:44:55

There are two options to export my image. The 80% and the 100% JPG.
I'm still learning and understanding. Which one should I pick? I'm selling digitals.
Thank you.

2018-07-03 15:12:17

Those are just the presets and you can actually choose any percentage you like. To see the sliders and more options, click the little disclosure triangle to the right of "700KB". Here's a video overview about exporting images for the web: https://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/ov ... t-for-web/

Basically, the Quality slider lets you balance quality against file size — if you want your images to load faster and take up less space, you can reduce the quality a little. Taking it to around 75% will very rarely result in any visible loss quality, so 80% should almost always be fine. 100% is overkill for most online usage. Also, when you have Export for Web active and change any settings, a preview of the exported version is shown live over your image, so if you move the Quality slider to around 50% or lower, you should see very obvious changes in quality.

2018-07-03 16:17:11

Thank you so much, always appreciate your help!!!

2018-07-03 16:26:14

One more question.
The convert to sRGB do I have to check that?

2018-07-03 18:19:36

Depends if you work with screens I would check it because it makes the file size smaller (for web). If you work with printers I would not check it.

2018-07-03 19:12:11

Thanks, I work with printers.

2018-07-05 10:04:27

That option isn't particularly important unless you work requires super accurate colors and you're using color profile other than sRGB. For most new images you create in Pixelmator, you color profile will be sRGB (which is the standard color profile used on the web), so there's no need to specifically convert it to sRGB.

If those images will be printed, then you shouldn't really be using the Export for Web tool. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2019-01-27 18:28:18

After editing a photo in Pixelmator, I sometimes save the image by exporting as a jpg. When going through the export procedure I normally like to choose image quality of 100%. Sometimes this gives me a file size that seems a bit exorbitant, like 13M, for instance, for a photo that's not terribly important to me. If the photo I'm saving isn't one that needs to be saved in as high a quality/size as possible, I don't mind reducing desired file size a bit. I've notice that going from 100% quality to 99% quality can reduce what was a 13M jpg to a 4M jpg (as in my example above). How do you explain this completely inordinate change by only reducing quality by 1 measly percent? If a desired file size is reduced to 80% there isn't anywhere near the difference as with that initial 1% reduction. It makes no sense.

2019-01-28 10:25:56

Hey Tom, at 100% quality, Pixelmator Pro tries to compress/optimize the image as little as possible, though as JPEG is always compressed in a lossy way, it is still somewhat compressed. At 99% the optimizations start to kick in and while they may be pretty much imperceptible, it still results in this big reduction. Further optimizations result in diminishing returns, as you've also noticed.

2019-01-28 17:41:07

Thank you so much, Andrius, for answering my question. I’ve wondered about this for at least a year. Your answer makes perfect sense.