amazing 70's retro style tips needed!!!!

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-07-30 12:34:30

Any ideas how to achieve this effect?

2018-07-30 17:55:08

Hi JARROD.

There's a lot going on in that image. For the sake of brevity, I'm going to ignore the noise, the blur, the pixelation, the horizontal shift of colours, and the muting of colours. :smiley:

I'll focus on the yellow stripe (which I'm hoping is what you want). The yellow stripe is an edge-detection effect between two high contrast areas. Pixelmator Pro doesn't have an edge detection effect so I'll improvise.
(disclaimer: There will always be many ways to create a complex effect like this. What follows is the method I found easiest.)
1. Start with Casey. Always start with Casey.
2. Choose whether you want to select the light areas or the dark areas. I'm going for light.
3. Create a layer above Casey and with that layer selected, use the Color Fill tool to drag-fill the light areas. You'll need sample all layers checked for this to work. Try with and without Smooth Edges – see what you like. If there's any aspect you don't like, now is the time to fix it with a paintbrush.
4. Create a black layer and put it below your fill layer.
5. Style your fill layer to have a dark fill with a yellow stroke.

(this is where I bail out). :smiley:

6. Add lettering and distress the image to taste: mute the colours, add a slight purple cast, randomly lighten and darken bits of the image, make a layer that only contains one colour channel and shift it horizontally, pixelate the image then add grain, and blur the result. Maybe add some more grain and blur it a little bit again.

Hope this helps.

- Stef.
P.S. If you get stuck anywhere, add a post and I will do what I can to help.