Please take my money!

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-08-06 19:45:05

I've decided to spring for Pixelmator Pro.

Unfortunately, the App Store won't let me buy it. It says my computer does not meet the minimum install requirements for the app.

I'm running a dual-hex Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010), with AMD R9-280X graphics and 64 GB of RAM. It runs the demo just fine.

I'd like to give you my money, but it's not letting me...

2018-08-07 11:33:00

I checked System Information, and it said my R9-280X didn't support Metal. So I stuck a GTX 1060 in my Mac. Now System Information says "Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3".

I still can't buy Pixelmator Pro. Now what?

2018-08-07 18:15:44

Your hardware is not supporting this app! They only allow hardware which can run Metal 2, for making development faster. 2010 is to old. Sorry you can only buy a new computer with your money :smiley:

2018-08-07 18:22:57

I hope that's not the case. Pixelmator Pro runs just fine on this system in trial mode, and I'm not in anything resembling a position to buy a new Mac with anything approaching this level of compute power.

If there are some features that require Metal 2, then I obviously haven't run across them yet.

I'm really looking for something to replace Photoshop with, since I see no reason at all to send Adobe $50 a month for an application i use every few months (but when I do use it, I use it hard). Pixelmator Pro, so far, has handled every bit of my workflow, although sometimes in different ways from how Photoshop does it. That doesn't bother me too much.

But if they won't sell me the package, then it's not going to do me a lot of good.

2018-08-08 07:26:56

Hi Tonya, this is, unfortunately, an App Store bug/limitation. Your Mac does meet the requirements to run Pixelmator Pro, but the App Store doesn't currently have a check for Metal compatibility. For that reason, we're using a workaround that checks for a particular CPU feature that matches up almost perfectly with Macs that shipped with Metal-compatible GPUs. Of course, since the Mac Pro is upgradeable, we end up with the situation we're in now. The good news is that it looks like this may be fixed in macOS Mojave — we haven't been able to confirm this yet, but we did have a user report being able to download Pixelmator Pro on a Mac Pro with an upgraded GPU after updating to Mojave (he wasn't able to download the app on High Sierra). I guess since Mojave is Metal-only, this would make sense, but, as I mentioned, we haven't yet had the opportunity to confirm this for sure ourselves.

2018-08-08 10:36:59

Great. What do I do in the meantime? Mojave won't be released for some time yet, and I can't run a beta OS due to other obligations.

2018-08-08 10:42:52

Have you had a chance to use the trial version? If not, you can download it here: https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/

Once your trial ends, drop us an email at support@pixelmator.com and we'll work something out. :wink:

2018-08-08 11:05:07

Yup. Been using the trial version, which is how I know it works. Even filed a bug report and a couple of feature requests.

I'll drop you a note. My trial period ends in like 3 days.

2022-04-25 13:30:10

by Jennifer Dehner 2022-04-20 13:21:59 Did you manage to solve problems with the application?
You are responding to a 4 year-old thread. Maybe the OP got a new Mac by now.

2022-06-01 09:15:35

No - it´s a spammer: Spam Spam Spam.