Would Pixelmatr Pro work under macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan) ?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-08-11 17:01:13

I know it states it works starting with High-Sierra, but I know this is sometimes aimed to be on safe side (or some few things).

My main reason for using it would be to work with HEIC images (just upgraded to an iPhone 8 Plus), and Pixelmatr basic just don't do this...

2018-08-12 15:46:48

Hi Robert. I don't think Pixelmator Pro will work for you under El Capitan but you can always download a free trial version to try it: https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/free-trial/ Also note that your Mac has to be Metal compatible. A Mac older than 2012 will not work with Pixelmator Pro.

That said, since you want to work with HEIC. El Capitan has to my knowledge no native support for HEIC and I'm afraid Pixelmator Pro relies on the Mac OS HEIC support to open HEIC-files. But please try the free trial first. You never know.

2018-08-13 11:35:37

Pixelmator Pro is High Sierra-only due to relying on quite a few technologies that were introduced in the latest versions of macOS, so, unfortunately, it won't work in El Capitan.

By the way, the original Pixelmator supports HEIC as well, but system-level support was only added in High Sierra, so both the original Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro require you to be on High Sierra for this.

2018-11-14 15:56:22

I have the same issue, my desktop is still running under El Capitan and I would like to use PP on this machine also. Is there perhaps een earlier version of PP that works under El Capitan?

2018-11-16 14:44:47

Pixelmator Pro was released when High Sierra was the latest OS and it didn't have support for earlier versions, so no version of Pixelmator Pro works under El Capitan, unfortunately. :(