How to extend the background of an image?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-09-23 18:50:00

Hello guys,

I have an image and would like to extend the background to have space upper and below the image to write some content.

Here is the standard image where I would like to extend the background to have more space (upper, below, right, left)

Thanks for your help.

2018-09-23 19:44:04

Hi edouard.

If you just want more space, go to Tools > Canvas Size (⌥⌘C) and change the values. You can use the Arrange tool to move the image around the canvas if you're not happy where it ends up and the fill tool to colour the transparent bits left when you extend the canvas.

If you're looking to extend the image of the table and the shadows on it, that is more complex and time-consuming. Still possible though.

Hope this helps.

- Stef

2018-09-23 19:46:29

Hi,

Yes I already know about the canvas size. But actually I would like to extend the background of that image (like if I could convert border into pixel and sketch them)

2018-09-23 20:03:05

Cool. There are always multiple ways of doing things like this, but this is what I'd do.
1. Extend the canvas size as desired.
2. Duplicate the layer.
3. On the top layer (Objects) use selection tools to remove (or mask - see 6b) as much of the table and the shadows as possible, leaving only the objects. Use Refine... when making the selection to soften the edges but make sure that you don't make any part of the objects transparent.
4. Hide the top layer.
5. On the bottom layer (Table) use the Clone tool and the Repair tool (and brushes where necessary) to remove all the objects from the table and to extend it. You may be able to keep the shadows, you may not, depending on your skill and how well the repair tool works on your image.
6a. If you had to lose the shadows, create a layer (Shadows) in between the two and paint in semi-transparent shadows.
-or-
6b. If you had to lose the shadows and you masked the top layer, use a soft brush and white paint to paint them back in. You'll still have to blend them in with a shadow layer as per 6a you'll just have to do less of it.

Hope this helps.

- Stef.

2018-09-23 20:30:51

After having another ponder (and reusing last nights deleted comment), although I still stand by the method above for the best quality results, I think that the time it takes for the extra quality may not be worth it. Method 2 (much quicker and easier) follows:
1. Extend Canvas as desired.
2. Paint in newly exposed areas with the Repair tool. This will populate the blank area with bits of table but will also bring some artefacts from the objects on the table.
3. Keep using the Repair tool on the artefacts, painting smaller and smaller regions until there are none left. Use the Clone tool on any artefacts that seem a little stubborn.
4. (Optional). If any of the shadows look wonky, create a new later above the table and use a soft transparent brush to retouch them (or use the Warp tool on the original layer to change their Shape a little).

Estimated time for first method: probably about 30-60 mins.
Time for second method: 2 mins.

2021-09-26 21:03:32

I don't know what version of Pixelmator Pro you guys have but mine does not have an Extend Canvas option anywhere that I can find. Is there another way. I want to park two identical cars beside each other in a parking lot.

2021-09-26 22:48:10

Go Image->Canvas Size… don´t work for you?

2021-09-27 11:44:39

Right! Or, you can also expand the canvas by hand using the Crop tool (C). Just drag the crop box handles to the sides where you want more canvas space.

2021-09-27 13:40:00

Or, you can also expand the canvas by hand using the Crop tool (C)
Cool - I wasn´t expecting this. Thanks for the hint.

2021-09-29 09:27:59

by EllenM 2021-09-27 10:40:00 Cool - I wasn´t expecting this. Thanks for the hint.
:pray: