File > Import from iPhone > Take Photo

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-10-29 23:01:30

(Pixelmator Pro 1.2 Quicksilver on macOS Mojave 10.14 on MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015))
Hi all.

Has anyone got the Take Photo function to work? I'm struggling with it.

I have my iPhone and laptop paired over bluetooth.
I have a freshly created doc ready to receive the image.
But when I select the menu option File > Import from iPhone > Take Photo and take a picture with my phone, nothing gets into Pixelmator Pro (it times out) and the photo is taken on my iPhone as normal.

(edit: I've just had a thought... could it be because I'm using my phone as a hotspot for my laptop?)

What am I doing wrong (or at least not doing right)? Hope you can help.

- Stef.

2018-10-30 11:46:56

Update. I'm staying with friends whose broadband is currently not working. :cry:
As I test I stopped sharing my phone's connection and connected phone and laptop via wifi to the router. All worked fine.

So, I guess my question has changed from: how do I get this to work? to: Do both devices have to be on the same LAN to work, or can I do this via bluetooth, or some other way?

2018-11-02 06:15:12

I did some testing and both wifi and Bluetooth have to be turned on on the iPhone for things to work. Note that turning off WiFi and Bluetooth from the control centre (swipe up) does not turn them off. It just brakes the connection to other devices that are not Apple devices. When you share your internet connection through your phone, the WiFi on the phone breaks the connection with everything, also your Apple device, and only works as a router against those devices you give access.

2018-11-05 15:20:09

That makes sense. Thanks for the testing and the informed reply.

"Attempting to use 'Take Photo' while tethered to your phone" is rather a specific use case. :grinning:

- Stef.