Export file size preview gone

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2019-11-03 09:02:57

I recently bought the upgrade to Pixelmator Pro, and whilst I'm largely happy with what I've gotten, there are a couple of irritations.
I'm a journalist and sub-editor for a small weekly paper, and I spend a fair amount of time subbing copy and prepping images for our layout people. One of the limitations of the layout package, is its ability to handle large image file sizes, so we generally try to limit image file sizes to no more than 5MB. This entails (typically) resizing images and exporting them to JPG, the default format for the layout package.
The old version of Pixelmator had a handy image size preview, whereby before hitting the Export button, and after selecting the output format, the dialog would indicate the image file size after export.
This is no longer the case, which means I end up guessing, based on original image size and resolution, and having to export the file then look at the file size in Finder. I sometimes get it right, but often have to go back and adjust the image size and re-export it. Wastes a helluva lot of my time.
Why on earth was the export file size preview removed from this version of the software?
Kind regards,
Norman

2019-11-03 09:52:58

Hi Norman.
If I understand you correctly, it's still there (Pixelmator Pro 1.5.1). In the Export dialog box by the format drop-down, there's a button that shows/hides extra features such as colour profile and quality settings. The file size of the exported image is with those settings.
Hope this helps.
- Stef.

2019-11-07 14:03:04

by Norman McFarlane 2019-11-03 09:02:57 I recently bought the upgrade to Pixelmator Pro, and whilst I'm largely happy with what I've gotten, there are a couple of irritations.
I'm a journalist and sub-editor for a small weekly paper, and I spend a fair amount of time subbing copy and prepping images for our layout people. One of the limitations of the layout package, is its ability to handle large image file sizes, so we generally try to limit image file sizes to no more than 5MB. This entails (typically) resizing images and exporting them to JPG, the default format for the layout package.
The old version of Pixelmator had a handy image size preview, whereby before hitting the Export button, and after selecting the output format, the dialog would indicate the image file size after export.
This is no longer the case, which means I end up guessing, based on original image size and resolution, and having to export the file then look at the file size in Finder. I sometimes get it right, but often have to go back and adjust the image size and re-export it. Wastes a helluva lot of my time.
Why on earth was the export file size preview removed from this version of the software?
Kind regards,
Norman
By the way, have you tried the Export for Web feature? It sounds like it might be even better for you, especially as you get a live preview of the exported image as you adjust the Quality parameters.