Lighten/Darken brush size?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-02-17 17:33:41

New to pixelmator so please let me know if I am missing something. I am using the lighten/darken dodge and burn tools and this is the biggest I can get the brush? Why is that?

2020-02-18 12:48:11

The retouching tool brushes are designed to adapt to the zoom level of the image — they're not sized in pixels (so the brush size doesn't stay constant as you zoom in and out), instead they, in effect, get smaller as you zoom in and larger as you zoom out. Of course, the end result is that it appears that nothing is changing, but all the size matching happens under the hood. In this case, if you zoom out the brush will become relatively larger and you can also hold down the Option key to extend the range of the Brush Size slider to 200%.

To be quite honest, it might be a good idea for us to change the brush sizes here to pixel-based values and maybe get rid of the Option key functionality, too.

2020-02-18 12:50:17

Agreed. Seems weird to have to zoom out to get a large brush. Should just be able to make the brush bigger or smaller in the one single brush UI