Paint directly on object

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-02-23 18:29:42

Hi. I'd like to know how to paint directly on an object (yellow square with rounded) - and only the object.

In the picture I've tried to paint with red but it paints on the background as well. How can I do that? Thanks :)

- Michael

2020-02-23 20:11:25

Hi Michael.
I think what you're looking for is a Clipping Mask. To do this with your example:
Put the yellow rounded square on one layer and create a blank layer above it. In the layers panel, right click on the blank layer and select Create Clipping Mask (or select it in the layers panel and use the menu option Format > Mask > Create Clipping Mask). This will turn the two layers into what I think of as a clipping mask pair.
The bottom layer of the pair will provide an initial colour and an opacity mask for the layer above it. The upper layer of the pair will provide colour information only, like painting on a yellow bit of cardboard with red paint.
Hope this helps.
- Stef.

(edit: Alternatively, if you want to do this in a single layer, you can turn on Preserve Transparency (Format > Image > Preserve Transparency) which will make your paint only apply to regions of a layer that are opaque. Just remember to turn it off again when you are done. :grin: )

2020-02-29 12:20:03

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, Stef. Much appreciated. 🙏🏻😊

2020-02-29 17:54:41

You're welcome. Hope this helped.