Hooray for the custom colour picker.

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-04-01 11:41:07

To the team – I know it's not revolutionary, but I wanted to mention I'm so happy to see the custom colour picker in Pixelmator Pro 1.6.

I think I let my hopes drift when a Pixelmator blog post from years ago seemed to focus on macOS's native picker, which I always thought was fine but finicky.

This new square colour field, the simple swatch palette area, and the way the picker indicates in the interface which colour you're picking are great. Feels so much nicer. 🙂

2020-04-01 13:29:41

Hi Starfia, it's revolutionary in a more everyday kind of sense and that's equally (if not more...) important! We do like the color picker and we like being as native as possible but, in this case, we felt it was worthwhile to make something specifically designed for an app like ours.

Also, for a little bit of background about why it took us a little while — in the first year or two of Pixelmator Pro, we had to focus on performance and stability and adding little (and big) things that were missing from the original Pixelmator. Now, along with the more flashy new things, we have more of an opportunity to work on refining areas of the app like this, which weren't absolutely necessary but are just really really nice to have. Fun!