How can I fast and quick draw lines (vertical / horizontal) like this?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-04-28 09:02:35

I have to make a lot of images like this one. The canvas is alway 1920 / 1080. Sometimes I have 7x4 of 7x3 or 4x4 etc etc.
The line thickness is always the same.

How can I calculate this the best?
How can I add this this best?

Thanks for help!

2020-04-28 14:07:02

Sometimes I have 7x4 of 7x3 or 4x4 etc etc.
If I've understood this correctly, 7x4 means 7 vertical lines and 4 horizontal, etc. 1920 doesn't divide exactly by 7, so in cases like this, you might have to do a bit of rounding. But basically, you'd have vertical lines every 274 pixels and horizontal ones every 270. With that in mind, here's how I'd do this.

1. Work out the intervals I need (i.e. one line every x horizontal/vertical) pixels by dividing the width by the number of vertical lines and the height by the number of horizontal ones
2. Make sure the rulers are visible (View > Show Rulers if they aren't)
3. Double-click either ruler and, if I need guides every 274 pixels then add a guide at 274, then at 548, then 822, etc.
4. After adding both vertical and horizontal guides, choose the Row Selection tool, set the Row Height to the height needed (12px, for example) and, with the Add selection mode, click exactly on the center of each horizontal guide (you'll need to zoom in for this)
5. Repeat the same steps for the horizontal guides using the Column Selection tool
6. Select the Paint tool, choose the color you'd like to fill with and then press the Command-Backspace keyboard shortcut to fill the selection with the color
7. Deselect and hide the guides

Not the easiest process but it should ensure everything is perfectly accurate! With these steps and a 7x4 grid, you'll have two extra pixels in the distance between the last vertical line and the right edge as compared with the left edge and the first vertical line, so in two places, you can put a guideline with a 275-pixel gap rather than 274.