Can't get a fairly simple cut and paste objects to work

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-08-18 16:57:09

I will admit, I've used Photoshop for a long time and have been able to make it work for my needs.

But I can't seem to do that with this program.

I thought this activity would be so simple, but it's not:

- copy a portion of an image, using rectangular selection
- place your selection on a layer (can't do that - if you try this it will create another layer - that's okay)
- select the object that you've attempted to place and move it (won't do it - can't move it)
- it will have a bounding box that you move, but the original contents WON'T move. An empty box will be placed wherever you move it to, but that's useless (at least to me).

I used to do this with Photoshop (and some other photo editing software) all the time. What is required to make this in Pixel Pro?

2020-08-21 09:24:02

Hey Meagan, I think you're probably doing everything more or less correctly, but after you paste the image content, you need to deselect the selection (Edit > Deselect All) and then choose the Move tool to move the new layer content. So, the steps are:

1. Choose a selection tool (Rectangular Selection is totally fine)
2. Make your selection and choose Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste (this will place the edited content on a new layer)
3. Choose Edit > Deselect All
4. Select the Arrange tool (V key)
5. Move the layer

Hope that helps!

2020-08-21 18:11:45

by Andrius 2020-08-21 16:24:02 Hey Meagan, I think you're probably doing everything more or less correctly, but after you paste the image content, you need to deselect the selection (Edit > Deselect All) and then choose the Move tool to move the new layer content. So, the steps are:

1. Choose a selection tool (Rectangular Selection is totally fine)
2. Make your selection and choose Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste (this will place the edited content on a new layer)
3. Choose Edit > Deselect All
4. Select the Arrange tool (V key)
5. Move the layer

Hope that helps!
So, okay, that helps. What works in Photoshop is when you paste, it does create a new layer, but that layer shows up immediately on top of the existing layer you're working on and usually in the same size as the selection size you've made. Then it's easy to select and move it wherever you want it to go.

In PxPro Despite re-ordering the layers around in PxPro, I seem to be unable to see the layer that contains the selection. It creates a new layer, but I'm having a terrible time trying to see it on top of the layer I'm working on. Is that because I haven't deselected it?

Also sometimes when I move the newly created selection layer around, I see a bounding box that is empty with an dotted line to the original pasted object. This is driving me insane.

I'm sorry, but it just shouldn't be this hard. How do you select an area and then place your selection on another layer? Why is this so difficult?

2020-08-24 08:30:04

by meagan thomas 2020-08-21 15:11:45 I'm sorry, but it just shouldn't be this hard. How do you select an area and then place your selection on another layer? Why is this so difficult?
Honestly, it shouldn't be this hard — in fact, the procedure in Pixelmator Pro is the standard one across most image editing apps, including Photoshop — with the exception that, after copying and pasting, Photoshop automatically clears the selection. But even with an active selection, if you choose the Arrange tool in Pixelmator Pro, the selected content will move. So I'm not entirely sure why it isn't working for you...
Also sometimes when I move the newly created selection layer around, I see a bounding box that is empty with an dotted line to the original pasted object.
The dotted line bounding box indicates a selection is active — choosing Edit > Deslect will clear that selection. This is not an absolutely necessary part of the process, but you should generally do it. The key step is choosing the Arrange tool to move the new layer (just like you would choose the Move tool in Photoshop).

2021-12-28 20:43:14

I haven't used pixelmator in a while, and now I am dipping in to pixelmatorpro.

I am having great problems with seemingly simple seledt > copy > paste tasks.

As to one of your points, the edit menu does not have a deselect all. And when I have
a rectangular selection on the screen, the delect item under Edit is still greyed out.

As to the rest, sometimes I can get select > copy > paste to work with a rectangular area, but often this sequence only creates a blank white area on the screen has selection handles turned on.

Frustrating.

2021-12-28 22:44:21

I ´m not able to recreate the behavior you´re describing.
1. is it a real "Rectangular Selection" made with "M"or a rectangular "shape"? Hit cmd+D will deselect no matter how many rectangular or other selections I have made.
2. with a selection made copy&paste will put the content into a new layer for you
Maybe you can provide a little video showcasing your workflow.

2022-01-21 02:38:43

I just bought Pixelmator Pro and am completely stumped by this basic task. I thought Mac apps were supposed to be intuiitive?

I have tried to follow the instructions above but they don't make any sense on Pixelmator Pro. Maybe they were for the old version?

Please can you make your instructions clearer...

2022-01-21 11:07:53

Can you give a step by step instruction of what you´re trying to achieve?
For me it´s: open image in Pixelmator Pro via drag&drop on Icon in the Dock or drag onto open template. Get the Rectangular Selection tool or hit "M" on keyboard - make selection - either hit cmd+X or cmd+C then cmd+V to insert the cut/copied content into place. Couldn´t be easier imho.

2022-01-21 12:58:16

by Timothy Wyant 2021-12-29 01:43:14 As to the rest, sometimes I can get select > copy > paste to work with a rectangular area, but often this sequence only creates a blank white area on the screen has selection handles turned on.
I remember when this was happening to me, it was because when I was doing cmd+c to cut I was actually copying from the wrong layer - the white background layer.

I would outline my subject perfectly and then cmd+c and then cmd+v and nothing but a white fill shape I cut out.

Now I always glimpse over out of habit and make sure I have the layer selected that I am cutting from.

Is this what happened with you?

2022-01-21 13:02:26

by Timothy Wyant 2021-12-29 01:43:14 As to one of your points, the edit menu does not have a deselect all. And when I have
a rectangular selection on the screen, the delect item under Edit is still greyed out.
You can deselect all by clicking "new" and then clicking in the dark margin between image and tools.