After removing part of an image, how do I get the "bounding box" to automatically resize for the image that remains?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-09-03 17:36:07

Let's say I've got a dark irregular-shaped object on a white background (First Image) I remove the white background and am only left with the object in the middle. In Arrange or Transform mode, the adjustment handles are still at the corners of where the white box used to be. (Second Image.) How do I get the adjustment handles to automatically resize down to just the image that is left? (Third Image). In this instance, I had to select that resulting image, invert selection, and hit delete. Even though the image appeared to be surrounded by transparent pixels only, that deletion seems to make the extra space go away and now the handles are nice and tight to the object. But that is clunky and feels like a workaround. Am I missing something?

thanks,
Cory

2020-09-03 20:19:56

Hey there, I believe if you were to zoom in to one of the corners where the handles are, you'd see a few white pixels that are left behind. If you're using the Smart Erase tool, the Smooth Edges algorithm leaves behind these corners when erasing rectangular objects. It's something we should address, but for now, there isn't really a way to avoid it... You could turn off the Smooth Edges algorithm but the edges won't be as nice, so another workaround is to choose the regular Erase tool and get rid of the left behind pixels in the corners.

2020-09-04 17:11:32

oh wow, you are totally right. Yeah I think long term that needs to be addressed. I can't think of a good reason those pixels would be left in the corners. But both of your suggestions are good workarounds so thank you!

Cory