Pixelmator Pro templates for CD paperwork

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-10-06 18:15:24

Does anyone use Pixelmator Pro for creating CD artwork using these methods?
1) Direct print to CD as selected on an Epson printer
2) Print to serrated insert/tray forms as sold by neato.com
I guess what I'm asking for is a template to support one or both of these.
Paul S.

2020-10-09 14:23:03

Hey Paul, do you know the exact measurements of the CD and any technical specs for printing the artwork? I don't have any experience with this, but I should be able to provide some guidance with that info. :wink:

2020-10-09 15:50:47

I have been working on a strategy to print the CD face, the front cover "insert" and the jewel case tray card.
My notes are shown below and I believe this will work. The tray card must be very precise given that the printed
text must fit into the print space on the perforated 8x11 sheet from neato.com.

I see your tutorials, I am struggling with simple things such as:
+ I insert a circle shape but only want the outer perimeter to appear. I only see that a "filled" circle is possible.
+ After inserting a shape or text, everywhere I click gets a shape or text. Is clicking on the arrow the only way "out".
I will look for some keyboard shortcuts. I'm new to Pixelmator Pro.
Thanks, Paul

CD Paperwork Dimensions
Insert: 24.2 cm (9.5")" x 12.1 cm (4.75") => 2850 px x 1425 px @ 300 DPI
Resize image in Pixelmator Pro to the above dimensions.
Print to photo paper, cut along outer edge and fold in half. Slide into front of jewel case.

CD Face: Outer Dia = 12 cm (4.72") (1410 px); Inner Dia = 2.3 cm (273 px)
Use Pixelmator Pro to create an imaged sized as: 1410 px x 1410 px @ 300 DPI
Use large circle in PP when formatting for boundaries, then reduce its opacity before exporting.
Export the image as PNG. Import the image as a background to the Epson "Print CD" app. Print to CD.
(The Epson 'Print CD' app is very difficult to use. Let PP do the heavy lifting.)

TrayCard: 15.1 cm (5.9") x 11.8 cm (4.6") => 1781 px x 1392 px @ 300 DPI
Create a template document in PixelmatorPro to match the tray card outlines on the Neato stock.
Add images and text to the PP document, then print to the Neato tray card stock.
Use perforations to remove surrounding paper and insert into jewel case tray.

2020-10-14 15:42:32

by Paul Schwotzer 2020-10-09 12:50:47 + I insert a circle shape but only want the outer perimeter to appear. I only see that a "filled" circle is possible.
You're most likely looking to add a circle which only has a stroke, rather than a fill. Here's some info on doing that:

https://www.pixelmator.com/support/guid ... r-pro/906/
by Paul Schwotzer 2020-10-09 12:50:47 + After inserting a shape or text, everywhere I click gets a shape or text. Is clicking on the arrow the only way "out".
I will look for some keyboard shortcuts. I'm new to Pixelmator Pro.
Yes, each tool does something — the text tool adds text, the shape tools add shapes, and the arrow (the Arrange tool) moves and arranges those objects. A keyboard shortcut for that tool is the V key. You can also press and hold the Command key when using tools to temporarily be able to move layers around.

Finally, I think your strategy of creating the images with the right dimensions and working on them that way is absolutely right — so I think you'll do fine once you become more familiar with Pixelmator Pro and its tools. :pray: