Will I benefit from an eGPU for my 2018 Mac Mini if I am using "ML Enhance" a lot?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2020-11-30 05:19:16

Hi there,

Really love the new ML Enhance feature. It's becoming my default action before I make any significant adjustments.

However, it's a bit slow on my 2018 Mac Mini.

It takes about 4 seconds to process a 4800x3600px JPEG file. Toggle the effect, (I'm using it like Photoshop's Preview feature), on and off takes 2-3 seconds.

I'm wondering will I get a performance boost if I get an eGPU? Particularly this one: Razer Core X: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/ENCRAZ ... phics-Card

I'm sure M1 Mac Mini would be really neat. But we have some drivers that still require Mojave for the time being.

Thanks,

Alex

PS. ML Super Resolution takes 120s and it freezes the entire machine. So it'll be a nice bonus if we can gain some time saving from the eGPU.

2020-12-02 11:49:56

Hey Alex, a compatible eGPU will speed up ML Super Resolution, but not other ML-based tools. The product you linked is an eGPU enclosure but doesn't actually have a GPU in it. You would need to also buy one of the GPUs listed on the Apple support page to put into that enclosure.