Working with a Green/Blue Chroma screen

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-02-04 17:32:27

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to Pixelmator Pro, been able to do some stuff, however, I wanted to get into editing images produced with a Green/Blue Chroma screen and by searching the internet, I've found this tutorial which I'm interested in one specific part that I seem to be having an issue with.

The tutorial is at this URL: https://smokerbambooshobby.blogspot.com/2014/09/tutorial-how-to-extract-image-using.html

First thing to note is that this is a tutorial for Photoshop, and I can understand how to do this there, however, I do not use Photoshop nor have any plans on using it, so what I'm looking for is how to perform these actions in Pixelmator, or at least achieve the same results.

The main parts I'm having an issue with is Parts 3 thru 6, specially part 6 about the "greenish reflection" on the subject, as to how to remove it without affecting the rest of the image.

Any help is really appreciated, and any suggestions on how to perform this same, or similar, steps as to accomplish similar results.

2021-02-05 08:54:35

Hey there! The basic principles of the chroma key editing should be more or less the same in Pixelmator Pro:

1. Select the background.
There are a few ways to do this, but if we were to stick with the original tutorial, Select Color Range is the tool you can go for. In case there are any background areas left unselected, or if you've selected too much, you can use the Select Color tool to additionally tweak the selection.
2. Remove the background.
This one's easy — just press the Return key on your keyboard. You can also use a layer mask here, to simply hide the background instead of deleting it, for a completely nondestructive workflow.
3. Color correct.
For the green/blue reflection removal, I'd probably use the Selective Color adjustment. The adjustment lets you adjust different colors in an image individually. So, in this case, you'd need to adjust the green or the blue color ranges to your linking — reduce their saturation or shift the color hue.

Hope that helps!