Pixelmator doesn't save my changes to iCloud

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-06-07 20:31:25

Hey there,
I just bought Pixelmator Pro for my Mac, and im really happy with the editing options the software gives me.
But I have one Problem. I tried a bit around with opening photos from my photo app directly into Pixelmator. I edited them, saved and closed them with the feature enabled that should keep the changes saved on iCloud (keep the Pixelmator file).
Now when I reopen the photo, it just gives me a view that looks like the image is not edited in Pixelmator (the layers and layer settings etc. are gone), and I just have the edited photo like its an unedited one. If I try the same with a photo imported from a "normal" folder on my Mac, its the same situation after closing and reopening.
I also looked up the files in my Pixelmator Pro folder in iCloud Drive, but except for one image I exported as PNG to this folder, its empty.

The only way to save my progress seems to be exporting as a Pixelmator Pro file, but tbh this is not very practically when I want to get the original version of an edited photo in my photo library.

Has anyone a solution for that? Am I too dumb for using it? Thought it was an automatic system which detects that this image was already edited?
Screenshots of my settings are attached below. They're in German but I think its understandable which setting is which.

Thanks in advance!

2021-06-08 12:20:53

Hey there, Marvin. Could you let me know how you open the images from Photos? These Extension settings only apply to documents created using the Pixelmator Pro Photos extension. If you open and edit the images outside Photos (through Edit With > Pixelmator Pro or using the Pixelmator Pro Photos browser), the PXD files with the changes you make won't be linked to the images in Photos and won't show up in Pictures or iCloud automatically.

2021-06-08 14:23:49

What you‘re describing is exactly how I do it (Edit With -> Pixelmator Pro, or with the Cmd+Return shortcut).
How to use the extension? Can I activate it in the photos app and then I get a new Pixelmator menu item in the top bar or how is this working?

Edit: Nvm I just clicked on the link and found the explanation… My fault. Ill look into it later when Im back home. Thank you for your help.

2021-06-08 15:16:52

by Marvin 2021-06-08 14:24:58 What you‘re describing is exactly how I do it (Edit With -> Pixelmator Pro, or with the Cmd+Return shortcut).
How to Uwe the extension? Can I activate it in the photos app and then I get a new Pixelmator menu item in the top bar or how is this working?

Edit: Nvm I just clicked on the link and found the explanation… My fault. Ill look into it later when Im back home. Thank you for your help.
No problem! If you have any further questions — feel free to let me know. :)

2021-06-08 18:31:04

So I just tried it out and it works as expected; very good and mostly similar to the native version!
But I got 2 questions:
1) is there a way to use the Pixelmator Extension as default when pressing the edit button on an image? Or maybe some kind of shortcut or something, so I don't have to click multiple times?
2) Is it possible to have the known top bar items from Pixelmator?

I kinda have the feeling that the answer is no for both questions, but questioning doesn't cost anything so yea :D

2021-06-08 19:23:26

Glad to hear it's working as expected! :raised_hands: And your hunch is right — both are limitations of the Photos app, so it's a "no" for both questions, for now.