Open an image from Photos not showing all photos

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-06-30 17:02:53

Hi,

Just purchased for my MacBook Pro 2019 model though don't think that is relevant.

I have just 49 photos in iCloud, I choose the above option and it only shows me 29 of them, where have the others gone?

They all show in iCloud Photos if I check that separately.

I look at 'Collections' on the left hand side and expand that, shows me all the date ranges, when I go to a specific date range where I know there is a photo, it says 'No photos'

What am I doing wrong please? I know all the photos are there because I can see them on my phone / iCloud etc. just not in the app.

2021-07-01 15:16:12

Hey Rich. The device you're using is, indeed, not important. What's important to pay attention to here is the Photos app preferences. In particular, if you're using iCloud Photos, you'd have to make sure "Download Originals to this Mac" is selected under iCloud preferences. Pixelmator Pro cannot initiate the download process on its own, so the photos you'd like to work on should already be downloaded to your Mac before you open them. If you don't want to download every single photo, you can also use the Pixelmator Pro Photos extension. This way, only the photo you open and edit in Pixelmator Pro will be downloaded.

2021-07-01 17:47:22

Thanks for replying. I understand what you are saying, what I don’t seem to be able to work out is why it randomly shows some of the photos in iCloud photos and not the others.

But if your saying they need to be on the Mac in the first place, that’s fine. It really was the above point I’m confused about.

Thanks again :)

2021-07-02 11:18:46

Yep, images that haven't been downloaded from iCloud simply won't appear in the Pixelmator Pro Photo Browser. Besides, we could only open low-res previews of these images anyway since their high-quality versions would still be stored in iCloud, and it seems that there's not a lot of sense in that. :woman_shrugging:

2021-07-02 13:39:32

Thanks for your time.

2021-07-02 14:09:31

by Rich L 2021-07-02 13:39:39 Thanks for your time.
Happy to help. :pray: