Need some help for denoising

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-07-12 17:14:31

I have two questions.
1. Is het possible to set the level/amount of denosing an image. The ML-denoise is doing it's job but I have some pictures where the smoothing is to strong.

2. Is it possible to only denoise a part of a picture, and what is the best practice/workflow to achieve that. I am still a novice when it comes to working with layers and masks. Still seems so "un-natural" to me, to think in a "negative approach" create a layer, subtrack or add to a layer and brush than in- or away and then hide or show the result, in stead of just point/click in a picture to tell what I want. Just like te way "dodge and burn" works. Layers seems to me as a legacy-approach of some decades of Photoshop. So any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks Ben

2021-07-14 13:30:45

ML Denoise works on a layer basis at the moment, so to denoise a specific part of an image, you'd need to copy that section to a new separate layer. Even though ML Denoise itself is not customizable, by copying a selection or duplicating the entire layer, you'd be able to control the strength of the denoise effect by adjusting layer opacity or using layer masks.

Hope that helps!

2021-07-14 13:36:32

Thanks Aurelija.
That will certainly help. Sometimes is not that complicated :wink: .Just need to figure out with some help.

2021-07-15 13:43:59

You're very welcome! And if you have any other questions — feel free to ask away. :)