Handoff for ML Super Resolution

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-07-23 04:43:44

Hi,

I have both Pixelmator Pro and Pixelmator Photo. Recently, I tried to use Handoff for ML Super Resolution. Unfortunately, the image transformed to SR on iPad wasn't updated on Pixelmator Pro.

What am I doing wrong?

Best,

Y

2021-07-23 13:36:11

Hey! Handoff won't work with ML Super Resolution or any other features. That's because Pixelmator Pro and Pixelmator Photo are two separate apps, not extensions of one another. If, however, you have iCloud Photos turned on, you should be able to open the edited images (without the nondestructive edits) from the Photos app on your Mac in Pixelmator Pro once they sync.

2021-07-26 02:40:00

Not sure your reply sounds right to me because Pixelmator and Pixelmator Photo share the same folder on my iCloud Drive. How can this be explained?

2021-07-26 09:50:14

It's a bit of a future-proofing on our part. The cross-compatibility between the native Pixelmator Pro and Pixelmator Photo file formats is in our plans, so while using the same folder might not be of much use now, it should make more sense once the compatibility improvements are implemented. :)

2021-07-26 23:39:52

Your reply is very strange as it doesn't explain the current state of how the apps work :(

2021-07-27 12:45:00

Hm... Perhaps I jumped to conclusions too fast. Just to be sure we're on the same page:
Recently, I tried to use Handoff for ML Super Resolution. Unfortunately, the image transformed to SR on iPad wasn't updated on Pixelmator Pro.
Perhaps you can explain in more detail how you're using the Handoff feature? And how do you check if the changes have been synced?

2021-07-28 02:16:46

I just open the same image of Pixelmator Pro and Pixelmator Photo and apply ML Super Resolution option to the image on either of the apps. If I apply it on a desktop app, I expect the image to change on iPad (easy to check by checking the image size) and vice versa. However, they don't sync.

2021-07-29 14:58:03

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying! Without going too deep into technical details, for the syncing to work like how you're describing, Pixelmator Pro would need to support PHOTO — the native file format of Pixelmator Photo. It currently doesn't. That said, we know document syncing is important and we're doing our best to bring the necessary changes to make it possible. Once we're done with these improvements — it'll be a free update to all current Pixelmator Pro and Pixelmator Photo users.

In the meantime, if you edit photos using Pixelmator Pro extension in Photos, the changes you make will sync to the Photos library on your iPad and you'll be able to continue editing them in Pixelmator Photo. It might take a couple of minutes for the changes to sync, though.