Trouble joining two open paths

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-08-04 10:56:46

I have two freeform pen paths I want to join.

As per the manual instructions, I click on one path and choose ‘make editable’. I select the second and do the same. But when I select both and control+click there is no ‘join’ command in the contextual menu, and when I check the first path has reverted to non-editable.

There doesn’t appear to be a way to make two paths editable at the same time, and I can't can’t find the Join command.

What am I doing wrong?

2021-08-19 12:45:57

This option will only work with the anchor points of a single shape (or a single shape layer). It's not possible to join points of two separate shapes — you'd have to unite the shapes first. Once that's done, Control-click the shape group and choose Merge Shape Components from the menu that appears. The 'Join' option should then become available.

2021-09-22 12:49:34

Sorry, but this is confusing. The user manual definitely says it can be done with two open paths, which is what I'm trying to do

"To join two open paths:
1 Make a vector path editable.
2 Click to select two open paths
3 Control ⌃ – click one of the selected paths and choose Join."

Yet that's not working for me and I can't see 'Join' in the drop-down menu.

2021-09-22 13:11:01

You're right, this nuance does need some clarification in the user guide. You can have both your paths as separate layers or as two different parts of the same shape, and the Join option only works in the latter case.

2021-09-22 13:44:29

Thanks ;0)

So how do I get the two paths onto the same layer so I can join them? If I draw two separate paths, PP puts them on different layers.

And what's this 'unite the shapes' that you refer to?

2021-09-29 09:33:58

by colindun 2021-09-22 10:44:29 Thanks ;0)

So how do I get the two paths onto the same layer so I can join them? If I draw two separate paths, PP puts them on different layers.

And what's this 'unite the shapes' that you refer to?
Sorry for taking a while to respond. Typically, yes, you'd unite and merge shapes to make sure they're all on the same layer. However, I've been testing this workflow and found some inconsistencies in the Merge Shape Components behavior. Sometimes it leaves any open paths open, other times — it closes them which can be a deal-breaker. We're now investigating why this happens.

2021-09-30 10:09:24

OK. Thanks ;0)

2021-09-30 11:13:45

From my experience it´s first "Unite Shapes" followed by "Merge Shape Components" before "Join" will work; kinda inconvenient+ cumbersome. Better allow to edit multiple layer/paths at the same time: select - double-click to edit - select points/nodes=join - done.

2021-10-04 10:24:43

by EllenM 2021-09-30 08:13:45 From my experience it´s first "Unite Shapes" followed by "Merge Shape Components" before "Join" will work; kinda inconvenient+ cumbersome. Better allow to edit multiple layer/paths at the same time: select - double-click to edit - select points/nodes=join - done.
Makes sense. We'll keep this feature on our radar. :ok_hand: