How Can I make a selection in Pixelmator Pro like in Photoshop

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-08-23 13:32:22

Hey,

I came fresh from PS to Pixelmator Pro. I really like the software but their is one really confusing
thing I guess.

On PS I was used to use the pen tool to draw my shape, than right click and select "make selection" to fill this shape or to delete something partial of an other shape...

Since I'm a cloth designer I have to delete pretty often little overlapping colors to match the design, therefore this option is necessary for me.

Can Someone tell me how Pixelmator is handling this

2021-08-24 11:53:02

Hey John, first off — welcome to the community! :party_face: The Pen tool in Pixelmator Pro doesn't offer this exact option but there are other ways you can select the outline of a Pen-drawn path. Essentially, after you close the path, you'd have to (temporarily) fill the shape (Add Style > Fill), then load selection. You can find this method discussed in more detail in this thread right here.

2021-08-31 10:35:14

I think we can sub-sum the procedure to:
1. make your selection with A) Pen B) Freeform Pen or one of the other Selection tools
2. Once you made the selection go Edit->Load Selection - this will turn your shape into a bitmap selection marquee.
3. Now the fun part: select now the underlying image layer and hit copy - this will copy the content of the selection to clipboard
4. Either paste in place or into new or existing opened documents - not necessary Pixelmator Pro files or for instance in Preview.app->File->New from Clipboard. Or hit cmd+X to punch a hole instead.
The shape drawn for the selection can be kept for later use or deleted.