Is there a way to create a full-colour stamp brush? (equivalent to PS mixer brush)

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-09-08 00:18:04

It's all in the title pretty much.

I want to create a brush that will stamp a full-colour image onto the canvas as I draw with it. I'd like to use it as a technique for drawing walls of more hotchpotch buildings on a map I'm drawing, placing planks in a semi-scattered fashion.

Is there a way to accomplish this in Pixelmator? I know PS has the mixer brush, which almost does it but doesn't do angle scatter.

I'd ideally also like one that selects a random image from a group of images, but I can accomplish that by just using multiple brushes if I can get it working with just one.

Thanks!

2021-09-08 09:01:52

As I don´t come from PS I have no clue what a mixer brush is over there. So for me it´s impossible to help.

2021-09-08 09:04:36

by EllenM 2021-09-08 09:03:10 As I don´t come from PS I have no clue what a mixer brush is over there. So for me it´s impossible to help.
Basically it just does what I described, allows you to stamp an image in full colour with a brush tool

2021-09-08 09:38:55

Not sure. Right now I´m just able to import kind of greyscale image as a brush tip - which will stamp on click - but it seems colored images will be converted for the use as brushes. Fun anyway:
Uh - no GIFs allowed in this forum?

2021-09-08 13:33:41

EllenM is right — there isn't really an equivalent for the mixed brush tool in Pixelmator Pro right now. And with the way the current painting engine is set up, a grayscale image is required to create a working brush, so we automatically convert color images to grayscale.

What you could also do in addition to creating your own custom brush is use that brush to paint on a layer mask to reveal the texture or colors below it. Here are the rough steps:

1. Clip wood or any other pattern to the object you'll be painting
2. Add a mask to the pattern layer and invert it (Command + I)
3. Create a brush of the shape you need (brick, wood plank, etc.) and adjust the brush scatter settings
4. Paint on the mask with white to reveal the color pattern
Uh - no GIFs allowed in this forum?
Nope, only emojis for now. :grimacing: Good idea, though. We'll check to see if our forum software can integrate this.

2022-10-22 18:10:41

Aurelija, could you help tell me what I am doing wrong? Or point me in the right direction? What am I doing wrong? My brushes always overlap and look terrible, as in the pics below:

2022-10-24 00:40:02

It looks like to me Dean, that you've selected a soft brush as your base rather than a hard brush, which is what is needed here. You should be able to edit that manually.

2022-10-24 14:09:56

by TheG_Ghaladron It looks like to me Dean, that you've selected a soft brush as your base rather than a hard brush, which is what is needed here. You should be able to edit that manually.
Thank you! I think that is it.