Auto-label FAIL when importing images

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-10-14 12:38:58

When I drag images into layers, Pixelmator will often try to label the image. I find this both a) disturbing and b) unhelpful.

a) disturbing because I'd rather not think that some algo in Pixelmator (or macOS or iOS) is dicing and slicing my imports to see what it can come up with
b) it has I think been wrong in 99% of the time and I end up having to go back to desktop and i) sort images from thumbnails to match to what Pixelmator did and didn't import b) copy and paste those labels into the right layer

Right now I'm sorting through 18 images of similar things from different angles. Having to match Pixelmator's errors in labeling is maddening. I'd prefer not to have to do extra work to do something simple. See attached: Pxlmtr thought "plastic bag" 11/18 times. While not a bad guess, I don't need it to guess, and would rather see the image name as a layer label. Image

How can I turn it off?

PS. Love Pixelmator. Wish I'd heard about it years earlier!

2021-10-14 19:14:23

Hold alt key down while releasing the image to the canvas or Layers panel works here. Right click lets you choose another or original name from the "Suggested Names" drop down.

2021-10-15 12:12:55

Hi JM Vore. If you never ever use this feature, you can turn it off for all Pixelmator Pro documents using a dedicated Terminal flag:

defaults write com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator.x enableSmartLayerNames -bool false

Hope that helps!

2021-10-20 22:19:36

Thanks!

2021-10-21 09:45:21

You're welcome. :)

2021-12-22 23:35:21

Thanks for the new feature when importing, "Suggested Names"! Makes working with the import/what-is-it feature so much better! I love it!

2022-01-04 13:11:25

by JM Vore 2021-12-22 21:35:21 Thanks for the new feature when importing, "Suggested Names"! Makes working with the import/what-is-it feature so much better! I love it!
:pray: