Foreground / background switch

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2021-12-15 22:40:57

How can I enable this foreground/background switch in Pixelmator Pro? The Help says it's on the Toolbar, but I can't find it there. (I'm on Catalina, PMP 2.3.3)

2021-12-22 14:38:56

This color well is available on macOS Big Sur and later. macOS Catalina doesn't offer support for dynamic toolbar items, I'm afraid.

2021-12-22 17:35:46

macOS Catalina doesn't offer support for dynamic toolbar items
But why did you decide to put the FG/BG picker on the upper toolbar and not on some other panel (Tool Panel, for example), so this basic feature would be accessible to all mac users (not only on Big Sur)? :worried:

Let me explain my point:

• Foreground/background picker is a basic feature that has been available in all graphic design packages since maybe 2000x, if not earlier. It's not a luxury, it's a necessity, as it provides clear feedback and tells me what my FG/BG colors are at any given moment.

• As of September 2021, macOS Catalina has a market share of 77.23% among Mac users.

• For many of Catalina users (myself included) installing Big Sur is impossible, because our older (but still perfectly intact) Mac hardware won't let us. So for 77.23% of Pixelmator Pro users installing Big Sur equals purchasing a new M1 Mac.
However, for many of these individuals throwing away their still-working mac hardware and shelling out $1K+ in order to have access to a basic feature like the FG/BG picker sounds almost like an offer to buy a new car in order to have an oil indicator on their dashboard.

• So if for some reason the Pixelmator team has decided to deprive 77.23% of their customers of having a basic simple feature like FG/BG picker, this hardly sounds like a fair and user-oriented move.

In this regard I would like to propose the following:

Please make FG/BG picker accessible for users of all Apple-supported operating systems, Catalina included. For we are not a deprived minority, we are 70% +

Here are some sketches illustrating how this could be implemented.

Thank you, merry Christmas and a happy New Year :red_heart: