Am I able to open a Pixelmator Pro document from a template using Applescript?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-01-16 00:55:12

Am I able to open a Pixelmator Pro document from a template using Applescript?

This is how you open a Numbers document from template using Applescript:
tell application "Numbers" 
	make new document with properties {document template:template "Blank"}
	activate
end tell
Am I able to do something like this in Pixelmator Pro? I've been looking through the script dictionary and I don't see anything that would suggest that this can be done. But there must be a way.

2022-01-18 13:16:26

That sure sounds like it should be possible, but you can't currently pick templates directly from the Template Chooser, unfortunately. :grimacing: In theory, what you could do instead, is create a custom Template Chooser (using the choose from list command). It would really be too much work to get all the templates selectable this way, but if there are only a few you use, it might be worth giving it a try.

2022-01-18 16:03:56

by Aurelija 2022-01-18 21:16:26 That sure sounds like it should be possible, but you can't currently pick templates directly from the Template Chooser, unfortunately. :grimacing: In theory, what you could do instead, is create a custom Template Chooser (using the choose from list command). It would really be too much work to get all the templates selectable this way, but if there are only a few you use, it might be worth giving it a try.
Yeah, I only use a few. I mostly use the YouTube thumbnail size. Telling Pixelmator Pro to open a new document will open 1280x720. However, I believe that's because it's the last template that I used. I don't use 1280x720 every time and I'm pretty sure telling Pixelmator Pro to make a new document selects the most recently used one so that's why I wanted something more certain.

Would the devs consider adding template choosing in Applescript at some point? Also, I remember a few months back I was asking if I could add text and backgrounds and also make those templates that could be selected within Pixelmator Pro and I was told that they may consider adding that at some point. Does that still sound like something that might happen?

2022-01-21 16:49:17

by Undertaker01 2022-01-18 14:03:56 Would the devs consider adding template choosing in Applescript at some point? Also, I remember a few months back I was asking if I could add text and backgrounds and also make those templates that could be selected within Pixelmator Pro and I was told that they may consider adding that at some point. Does that still sound like something that might happen?
Yep, that template project is actually happening! Some developments have already begun and the AppleScript option for choosing templates would very much make sense when this feature becomes available. :ok_hand:

2022-01-21 16:51:08

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it!