Change default save location?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-01-17 13:15:11

I suppose I'm kind of a "boomer" when it comes to cloud saving.

Cloud just sounds like someone else's computer to me. I prefer external hard drives.

Every time I start a new project it wants to save it in the cloud and I have to tell it not to and then I move it to save somewhere else and sometimes it crashes because of this and I have to force quit and restart the program and it's quite annoying.

I can't find how to change it from "don't save it there, save it here instead."

Please advise.

2022-01-18 10:39:11

That's perfectly fine, we all have workflows we prefer. While it's not possible to determine a single set save location in Pixelmator Pro, you can turn off iCloud for Pixelmator Pro completely. Once you do that, it should no longer be suggested as the default location when saving — your last save location should be suggested instead. You can turn off iCloud following the steps below:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu () at the top of your screen
2. Click Apple ID
3. Click iCloud and then click Options next to iCloud Drive
4. Find Pixelmator Pro in the list and deselect it

As for the crashes — if you can find any related crash reports on your Mac, it would be great if you shared them with us at support@pixelmator.com. It'd be interesting to investigate them a bit deeper.

2022-01-18 14:58:38

by Aurelija 2022-01-18 15:39:11 As for the crashes — if you can find any related crash reports on your Mac, it would be great if you shared them with us at support@pixelmator.com. It'd be interesting to investigate them a bit deeper.
I don't seem to be getting "crash reports" but rather "diagnostic reports" should I send those?

2022-01-18 15:12:12

Also thank you for the iCloud save fix!

2022-01-21 16:38:08

No problem! If no crash reports are showing up in Console, Pixelmator Pro may not be quitting unexpectedly but freezing up instead. Do you need to Force Quit the app when that happens? Or does it simply close without warning and you need to reopen it again?

2022-01-21 17:24:52

by Aurelija 2022-01-21 16:38:37 No problem! If no crash reports are showing up in Console, Pixelmator Pro may not be quitting unexpectedly but freezing up instead. Do you need to Force Quit the app when that happens? Or does it simply close without warning and you need to reopen it again?
I have to force quit.

2022-01-25 16:06:29

Understood. Is there any chance you're running macOS 12.0.1 on your Mac and have an external display connected when working with Pixelmator Pro? We are aware of one issue where Pixelmator Pro would freeze under such conditions. The issue no longer seems to reproduce on macOS 12.1 (at least in our testing), so in case you haven't had the chance to update yet, it might be worth giving that a try.