Clipping Mask?

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2017-12-29 09:43:11

Is it possible to use the clipping mask technique in Pro?
If so, apologies but I can't find it.

Please add this feature.

2018-01-02 09:23:31

We are most definitely working on this one, but in the meantime you can try using Fill effects.

2018-01-10 01:46:28

Hi there. I'm not trying to hijack this conversation but I also am trying to figure out how to do clipping masks. I've been using Pixelmator for a long time and am not aware of how to use fill to get the same result. What would I do to apply a circle shape to an image, for instance, using the fill effect.

2018-01-10 11:52:44

No worries, Richard, that's what forums are for! You'd need to use the Image Fill effect specifically, and it works pretty much exactly like a clipping mask. The steps are as follows:

1. Add a circle shape to the image
2. Choose Format > Effects > Fill > Image
3. Customize the image used by doing any of the following in the Tool Options pane on the right:
• Double-click the thumbnail and navigate to the image you'd like to use
• Drag and drop an image directly onto the thumbnail from your Desktop, a Finder window, Safari, or another app
• Click 'Image (Scale to Fill)' to bring up the Image effect pop-up menu and click Choose...

Hope that helps!

2018-06-15 21:24:10

Hey Andrius - I just saw your response to my post. Thanks for the tip. That helps. It's not ideal but it's a workaround. :-)

2018-06-16 15:35:13

by Richard Aronson 2018-06-15 21:24:10 Hey Andrius - I just saw your response to my post. Thanks for the tip. That helps. It's not ideal but it's a workaround. :-)
No problem, that was before we'd set up email notifications for forum replies, so hopefully now, you'll see this (totally irrelevant reply) pretty much immediately. 🙏

P.S. We've been thinking about clipping masks and how to do them recently, so they're on our minds and in our plans.

2018-07-31 03:48:38

So what if I'd like some text clipped into a circle (or any shape?) Image

I achieved that appearance by doing some (quick and dirty) masking. But I'd like the text to conform to the cloud shape even after it changes.

Is the only way to rasterize the text, save it, and add it as the fill?

2018-07-31 10:13:49

Hi Don.

I know a workaround is not as good as a feature that you are missing but there are some methods that can achieve the same effect, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

1. Rasterize the text, save it, and add it as the fill. Advantage: can edit the shape and keep the fill. Disadvantages: Involves external files. Can no longer edit the text.

2. Create a mask from a selection. (Use the Quick Selection or Color Selection tool to select the speech bubble then right click on the text layer in the layer panel and select Add Mask. A mask will be created in the shape of the speech bubble.) Advantages: Quick. Can still edit text. Disadvantage: Have to redo the mask when editing the shape (but this is just a few clicks: delete mask then re-add as above).

3. Use Format > Shapes > Subtract Shapes to make the Speech bubble a hole in another shape. Put the text underneath so that it shows through the hole. Advantages: Quick. Both text and shape remain editable. Disadvantage: Sometimes the nature of a project will make this impractical. Have to draw another shape.

There are probably more but this is what springs to mind.

Hope this helps.

- Stef.

2018-07-31 17:08:05

Thanks. Suggestion 3 seems best for what I need.

2018-10-18 14:24:41

I recall making a forum post on here a while ago about clipping masks, and I really am hoping that this functionality gets implemented in the next update. That image fill solution is not nearly as versatile and it just seems strange that the standard Pixelmator has this while Pro does not. And it’s clear that Pixelmator Pro understands clipping masks already: when opening .psd files with clipping masks, they are properly represented. Right now it just seems like there’s no way to access that existing functionality from within the tools provided by the app itself.

2018-10-18 14:56:23

Clipping masks are added as Image fill effects in Pixelmator Pro, applied to specific layers. So to access them, you'd need to select the layer used as the outline, choose the Effects tool and you'll find the texture/image used as the fill there. It's not the most elegant solution. I'd definitely agree. However, this is quite high up the list of things to add and it should make it into Pixelmator Pro in one of the next few updates.