Aperture trackpad interface for changing brush size

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-01-08 02:55:53

Please add an interface similar to Aperture for trackpads: two-finger swipe up- increase brush size, two-finger swipe down-decrease brush size. Brush size happens often enough that it is inefficient to regularly come off the trackpad to change brush size.

2018-01-10 11:57:34

Thanks for the suggestion! We'll see what we can do about this, but for now, you can Control-click your image to bring up a shortcut menu or use the square bracket keys — [ and ] — to quickly adjust the size of your brush.

2018-01-12 00:14:42

Thank for those suggestions. I knew of those.

If I as working on something that requires a brush, which is often, I will almost definitely require a a brush size change. Yes, the keyboard shortcuts are available. In order to use those, I have to take my hand off the trackpad. The trackpad brush size change would allow me to not go to my keyboard and break my workflow.

2018-01-21 05:20:34

by imagladry 2018-01-12 00:14:42 The trackpad brush size change would allow me to not go to my keyboard and break my workflow.
But it would break my workflow! I use 2-finger gestures to pan around my images constantly while I'm painting. If you're looking for a way to work 1-handed, you should just use the tools panel on the right to adjust your brush size. If that's too slow, you could always adopt a 2-hand workflow.

2018-01-22 17:23:37

by Ivan Reese 2018-01-21 13:20:34
But it would break my workflow! I use 2-finger gestures to pan around my images constantly while I'm painting. If you're looking for a way to work 1-handed, you should just use the tools panel on the right to adjust your brush size. If that's too slow, you could always adopt a 2-hand workflow.
Hey Ivan,

It doesn't have to be two finger swipe up and down; that's what Aperture uses. I would just some trackpad gesture so I change brush size in place. Maybe it three finger up and down.

I consider changing brush size to be one of the most used functionality of a "paint" program. I'm been working on softening up some hard shadows, so I needing to constantly change the brush size to make a clean selection. I just want to be able to change brush size from the track pad, since that's were my hands spent a good part of their time and be able to make brush size change in place.

With the tool panel, I would still have to move my cursor from my current cursor location, go to the tool panel, change the brush size and come back to were I was working. That's wasted movement. What if I am working on is across the screen? Not is there the travel time back and forth, but I can not precisely guarantee that by brush size would be right. So, If it isn't, back and forth again.

With the trackpad gesture, what ever it is, the brush size indication remains in the work area. There would be no eye balling brush size, and hoping it's right; adjust the brush size until it fits you needs. In place.There is no wasted moving the cursor back and forth across the screen. If the Pixelmator team implements it, I'm hope you see how useful this can be.

2018-01-22 20:40:12

Good thoughts, imagladry!

How about holding a modifier key? Eg: hold Command and use 2-finger up/down to adjust brush size, hold Option to adjust brush hardness, etc.

The reason I suggest using a modifier is to avoid clashing with Mission Control & App Exposé, since those are default system-wide gestures for 3 fingers. I believe any directional gesture with 3 or 4 fingers can be claimed by the system for Exposé, Spaces, etc., so it's probably not safe to give those some special meaning inside Pixelmator.

2018-01-29 20:33:58

by Ivan Reese 2018-01-22 20:40:12
How about holding a modifier key? Eg: hold Command and use 2-finger up/down to adjust brush size, hold Option to adjust brush hardness, etc.
Sounds peachy. Let's throw in control for opacity, too. That would be a great trifecta.