View Actual Size after Resizing

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-11-14 14:40:40

Can we please, pretty pretty please, get a toggle setting (since I'm sure some won't want this always on) that allows photos to automatically be viewed at Actual Size after resizing? This would really save a lot of steps for people like me doing web design images where they will almost never be larger than the viewport after resizing. A check box in the Preferences would be sufficient enough for me so that I can turn it on, and yet those that don't want it on won't have to.

Gets really tedious (since I don't have a clue how to set up any type of macros on this or my Mac to do so) to have to do all these steps:
Open Tools, Image Size (or remember to use the shortcut that I just figured out how to work), enter size values, hit ok then have to open the View menu and choose Actual Size .... for every image.

Thanks for any consideration you can give this suggestion. :)

2018-11-23 08:52:06

In general, we do our best to avoid adding options and preferences wherever possible — even when they're easy to understand, a variety of options can be disorienting. So, if something can be achieved fairly easily by other means, we don't bother with options. In this case, there are two keyboard shortcuts for Actual Size: Command-1 and Option-Command-0. After resizing, you can press either of those and your image will zoom to 100%. And if you'd like to fit an image to your Pixelmator Pro window, the keyboard shortcut is Command-0.

2018-11-23 13:37:41

Yes I am aware of them, but my point is that I shouldn't have to do that every time I edit an image. I can sometimes be sitting here editing hundreds of images, that's a lot of extra key strokes that should 'not' be needed. It wouldn't be so bad if you had a way to do macros to record actions so we could combine a bunch into one keystroke, but you don't so we're stuck pressing multiple keystrokes.

There must be another way that you can set it up so it's automatic for those of us that would prefer that. Your app has almost "no" preferences, and I'm betting most of us would prefer to have a lot more preferences than there are. This is just one of them.

I for one would rather not have to do a bunch of extra key strokes for every image just so you don't have to add things to the preferences. Just my rant on it, but this particular request really needs some love.

2018-11-23 14:17:11

Fair enough, Jo, I can see this is a pain point for you — just to clarify, you'd like the image to be zoomed to Actual Size (i.e. zoomed to 100%), not Zoom to Fit after resizing an image?

2018-11-23 15:31:20

Yes that would be awesome for me. As mentioned in my original post, I hardly ever make an image resize larger than the view screen as most of them are for photo galleries that will be on a website page. Images just don't need to be very large for that and most other images I use are actually smaller than the gallery ones so I always have to do the key combo for zoom to put them to actual size before I can edit any further.

Now if you have plans to add a macro ability for us to do multiple steps in one key combo, then I would prefer that over doing an Actual Size adjustment, and it would probably be a lot more helpful for everyone else too.

2019-12-14 10:45:21

Actually, there is an additional request here that is: when web designers have 50 images to resize to the SAME size (e.g. 800x600) can there be a way of replicating the key sequence for the remaining 49 after you have done it once please? THAT would save even more time... Thanks

2021-01-24 17:42:57

+1 Vote here. Me too, photos I edit after cropping are always smaller than my screen so a toggle option to auto-resize photo to fit a screen would be nice. I know this can be done since I also own Pixelmator Photo on iPad and that one, frankly, automatically zoom cropped photo to fit iPad screen.