Brush outline

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-11-28 23:23:58

Hey everyone, sorry if I missed this feature or if it's been requested before (googling didn't yield any results) – wouldn't it be cool if Pixelmator Pro showed the brush cursor as an outline of the selected brush, as opposed to just showing a circle? It would make the painting workflow much more natural.

BTW I love how fast Pro is for painting, that Metal engine is really awesome.

2018-11-29 10:19:24

Noted — we didn't want to add a blurry outline like you get in other apps, but doing a sharp, Retina one slows things down a little too much, especially if you dynamically update it according to painting speed/pressure (we actually tested this functionality before the app was released). However, I've added this to the feature request list and we'll see if we can work something out in the future.

Also, it's great to hear that you've been enjoying the painting experience! We've actually put in quite a lot of work to speed up the painting engine over the last few months and we'll be working on more painting performance improvements in the future, too.

2018-11-29 10:33:58

Hi Andrius, thanks for the quick reply!

For what it's worth, I think it's only the initial positioning and size of the brush as I start the painting gesture that's important. I wouldn't mind if it didn't have that fancy dynamic resizing functionality at all, it's mainly about knowing exactly where the brush stroke will first land. (I use a horizontal brush very often, which has like 6:1 aspect ratio.) After it gets going, the cursor is less important IMO.

Kudos again for the speed improvements, you guys are doing an awesome job. <3