Masks tutorial?

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2019-01-10 08:00:21

Hello! Can't seem to understand how "masks" works.. I apply a mask to a picture for example, I paint over the face on the subject, then I go to the color adjustments to brighten up and fine tune but it doesn't look right, all I get is like a semi transparent blob in the face.

How do I work with masks?

2019-01-10 08:07:58

2019-01-10 09:59:05

Two things. The edges of the mask need some work. And you should also switch up your workflow, which will also fix issue number 1. Here's a basic outline of what you should do:

1. Duplicate the image and apply your adjustments to the upper layer (as far as I can see you've been doing this already).
2. Apply a mask to the upper layer.
3. Invert the mask (Command-I).
4. Switch to the Paint tool (B).
5. Press the D key to reset the default colors to black and white. Press the X key to switch between those two default colors.
6. Choose a basic round brush and adjust its Softness and Opacity settings to something like this (the size is up to you and depends on the size of the area you'll be masking):

The reason for the reduced opacity is because this lets you paint in the mask gradually. The softness will fix the sharp edges. You can also set the softness to something like 50% or less, but I always seem to go for something higher.

7. Zoom in on the area you'd like to selectively adjust and start painting the mask. Use multiple brushstrokes and gradually paint in the adjustments.

The end result should look something like this:

Vs.

2019-01-14 20:35:21

Haha thank you so much! I'll try it out some more next time I have to edit images with your guide open! :smile:

2019-01-15 09:15:12

Sweet, let me know how you get on!