Adjustments and Masks

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2019-10-17 00:40:29

…And other ideas for my sweet, sweet Lithuanian friends.

Adjustments

The easy one…

1. Let’s get a visual indicator (e.g. a little icon) in Layers as to which layers have adjustments or effects applied to them.
I find myself searching for which layer has something applied to it.

Better, yet…

2. Let’s see these adjustments as sub-layers (or whatever) so that adjustments have an eyeball that can be turned off and on.

The big one…

3. Let’s see adjustments indicated in Layers, and, let’s have the ability to apply a mask to the group of adjustments.

Masks

1. Why, oh, why is there no way to copy data into a mask?
(Am I wrong about this? I hope so.) Pressing Command-V now pastes into a new layer, even when I have the mask selected. (I’ve read documentation and haven’t seen the solution.)

2. Let’s double-click the mask to see its data in greyscale to edit.

Painting

1. Stroke smoothing.

2. Flow.
Someone noted how to do this, but let’s, instead, make a nice slider.

Skin smoothing
How can a professional use Pixelmator Pro without this ability?
I’ve got wrinkles to smooth, man!

Either…
1. Let’s make a frequency-separation effect or action. Pros use this method to smooth both skin color and texture.
A tutorial explaining how to do this in Pixelmator created sub-par results.

Or…
2. Some bespoke new tool to do it akin to Snapseed.
(Better to have frequency separation.)

UI Bonus

The capability of the program is rich with options, but they are all tucked away and hidden inside a simple “Add” button. I imagine people don’t get the true capability simply because so much isn’t seen. Perhaps a more robust load-out of defaults similar to Pixelmator Photo, where all of the tools are there at the ready if you need them, turned off.

Pro’s UI is inspired by Apple’s Photos app—Apple’s version 1 photos app. Now they have all their tools on display to be chosen.

I love this app. I open it just to tinker around in it even when I have nothing to do. Let’s take it to the next level!

2019-10-18 16:18:17

Thank you for the extensive, thoughtful, and detailed feature requests!

I hope it'll be reassuring to hear that almost everything has been discussed by us at length and is either being developed, is on our roadmap, or is at least a general goal for us for the future. With the exception of maybe frequency separation, which is what you came on the forum to request. :smile: That's not to say we wouldn't like to add it, it's just we're not sure exactly where a feature like this would fit in Pixelmator Pro workflow-wise. But it's on the feature request list and if you could go into more detail about how you do skin retouching/frequency separation and where Pixelmator Pro falls short and other apps excel, we'd love to hear it.

2019-10-18 23:35:41

Sounds like fun, actually: I’ll write up what I’m talking about and why it’s so great and important. I’ll include some informative GIFs.

I love this app and I am it’s biggest champion. Cheers, team.

2020-03-26 16:22:03

Frequency seperation, or just some sort of proprietary pixelmator pro skin effects tool... just anything other than manually having to mask and blur and try to fiddle it into a place that looks believable.

2020-03-26 19:48:51

Hey Ryan, I happen to figure out how to do frequency separation in Pixelmator Pro. Go check out the tutorials section, I think I’m the only non-company man to have a tutorial there.

2020-03-27 11:22:28

Here's a link to it, just for some added convenience: http://www.pixelmator.com/community/vie ... 18&t=17286

:pray: