Selecting non-contiguous area for the color selection (AKA magic wand)

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2020-01-01 07:15:14

As a long time pixelmator user, the lack of selecting non-contiguous areas has long been bothering me.

pixelmator can only select a contiguous area, so if there are hundreds of areas with the same colour I need to select hundreds of times.

Take this picture as an example (from the internet), it would be such a pain to remove all the white background areas using pixelmator. And mine are exponentially more complicated than this one.

All your main competitors have this feature. But neither the original pixelmator nor the pro can do this. I need to keep a copy of gimp on my computer just for its magic wand.

Would you please add this feature? I suppose it would not be technically too difficult.

2020-01-02 14:23:05

Hi there, have you had a chance to try Edit > Select Color Range? If not — check it out, it should do pretty much precisely what you're looking for.

2020-01-10 18:26:57

by Andrius 2020-01-02 14:23:05 Hi there, have you had a chance to try Edit > Select Color Range? If not — check it out, it should do pretty much precisely what you're looking for.
Sorry it doesn't help.
The select colour range = tolerance in other apps.
If there are two white areas which don't connect with each other, in pixelmator they must be selected separately. While in other apps there is an option to select both at once.
If there are hundreds of separated areas with the same colour, in pixelmator they need to be selected hundreds of times.

2020-01-10 20:04:02

@quetzacoatl It works for me: non-contiguous areas selected fine (and a new tool learned for me). The question is, why isn't it working for you?
One thought occurs: if you have a selection active before you press the 'Select Colour Range...' button (or use the Edit > Select Colour Range... menu option) then Pixelmator Pro will only select from within the already active selection. Could that be the problem? If not then come back and I'll happily troubleshoot with you.

2023-10-12 14:50:12

@st3f and anybody that wanders here.. it worked. I was having the exact same problem and had pretty much decided this blows.. thanks for posting.