How can I edit psd files in Pixelmator Pro?

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2020-03-23 16:25:22

I would say I am a Pixelmator novice, and might be missing this completely, but I am having trouble editing .psd files on Pixelmator Pro. I can import them, and open them, they show up and look great, but I can't edit any text, I can really change anything. How can I edit the text layers? I need to be able to do this for work, and would like to not have to buy adobe photo shop :/

I recently purchased this MacBook Pro, so I don't believe the hardware is an issue. Please if any one could help that would be great!

2020-03-23 16:34:18

Hey there, usually with PSD text layers, there are two layers: one image layer where the text looks exactly like it should (just in case you don't have the right font or there's some special formatting that might not be supported) and the text layer, with as much formatting as possible, is hidden by default. This is done because we can't always guarantee the text will have the correct appearance. You'll find the text layer in the Layers sidebar just below the image layer — you can hide the image layer and show the text layer to edit the text.

2020-03-23 16:45:42

Andrius,

I have attempted to upload an image of my screen shot, I have attempted to do what you have said, I change change the text in the layers, but it is not showing up in the actual image, I don't know how to make my changes actually effect the image I am working on. Any suggestions?

2020-03-23 17:08:55

Next to some of the layers (one called 'meeting' and another called 'FAMILY'), there's an eye icon with strike through it, indicating the layer is hidden — if you click that eye icon, the layer will show up in your image, then you can choose the Type tool (as you have done already), then click the layer to edit it.

2021-07-11 16:45:36

by Andrius 2020-03-23 16:34:18 Hey there, usually with PSD text layers, there are two layers: one image layer where the text looks exactly like it should (just in case you don't have the right font or there's some special formatting that might not be supported) and the text layer, with as much formatting as possible, is hidden by default.
Does this still apply in PP2? I'm using the trial and when I open a PSD file quite often it's converting a text layer to pixels but not providing the original editable type as a hidden layer.

Colin

2021-07-12 10:44:35

by colindun
Does this still apply in PP2? I'm using the trial and when I open a PSD file quite often it's converting a text layer to pixels but not providing the original editable type as a hidden layer.

Colin
That's a known issue that can sometimes happen. A fix for this should be ready in the next few updates. ;)

2021-11-16 16:00:57

Good day everyone,

I am fairly new at Pixelmator Pro and really enjoying using it so far. I am having the same issue as liftingpreacher above.
I have followed what Andrius has suggested, but still cannot seem to edit the text as you've described.
When I show the layer under the preview image, nothing appears.
If I edit the T layer in the sidebar, the change does not reflect

Surely, I'm doing something incorrectly or I have to change a setting?

Please help!

Thank you

2021-11-16 21:13:35

Can you check Pixelmator Pro´s layers panel if there´s something like "Text" labeled? Or provide a screenshot of the layers panel?

2021-12-30 02:08:34

Having the same problem. I select the text and make sure the layer is showing as suggested above but cannot change the text at all.
It's the only real problem I have had with Pixelmator and I'd much rather not have to go back to the Adobe walled garden.

2021-12-30 08:07:53

Are you sure it´s a text object or already rasterized?

2022-01-05 12:54:17

by inpitlane 2021-12-30 00:08:34 Having the same problem. I select the text and make sure the layer is showing as suggested above but cannot change the text at all.
It's the only real problem I have had with Pixelmator and I'd much rather not have to go back to the Adobe walled garden.
When you select the text layer, is there any chance you start typing new text right away? In Pixelmator Pro, you need to activate the text layer first by pressing the Return key or double-clicking it.

2022-10-02 19:14:15

Hi Aurelija,

I still cannot seem to figure this out after many months away.
Using Pixelmator 3.0

Is it possible to send you some screenshots so it may be more helpful.

Thank you,

Davin