Text tool more intuitive

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2020-05-18 22:22:25

If I say I would love a more intuitive text tool, I mean a possibility that if I write a text - click away and realise I have made a spelling mistake or I want to change the text, that I can automatically select the text if I hover over it instead of selecting the layer again and maybe create another text box and deleting this again. I know it’s how photo editing apps are working but this would be a time and effort saver

2020-05-20 12:20:44

Interesting problem! The trouble is text layers in Pixelmator Pro are both objects which can be moved and manipulated and, obviously, a series of characters within that object. Sometimes you might want to do something to the characters of the text, while other times you might want to do something to the text object itself. I guess the issue only arises if you have Auto Select turned off, am I right? Because otherwise, you can just click a selected text box and the insertion point will become active.

2020-05-20 20:01:33

Thanks Andrius,

I must have deactivated it accidentally.

2020-06-04 10:37:02

Capitalization in the Font menu, is usable if its not be a destructivable command. On of button is more usefull..

2020-06-08 09:47:19

Select text in the box ...
which text is out of the box, not visible.. is unselectable with mouse ..
every time i resize the text box for select unvisible lines for change the font size ..
(or select all ... but is not comfortable )

2020-06-08 09:53:18

It text mode, select text boxes ... on mouse, like a Photoshop ..
don't make a new text box it over...

2020-06-08 09:55:47

change font sizes proportionately ... by a slider or ratio input box..
select a whole formated text, which contains big and small fonts .. and grow the font size together

2020-06-10 09:07:39

by Varjubacsi 2020-06-08 09:53:18 It text mode, select text boxes ... on mouse, like a Photoshop ..
don't make a new text box it over...
This should definitely be working — have you turned off Auto Select? Control-click the canvas (with the Type tool or Arrange tool selected) and check whether Auto Select has a checkmark next to it.

2020-06-15 14:08:53

I think it, the most distrubing behavior is the text tool... when you click in to canvas, and a new textbox is born ...
Better way if you cant make a box with single click, just only by drawing.. (click, hold down button - draw rect, release)

2020-06-15 14:58:41

by Varjubacsi 2020-06-15 14:10:58 I think it, the most distrubing behavior is the text tool... when you click in to canvas, and a new textbox is born ...
Better way if you cant make a box with single click, just only by drawing.. (click, hold down button - draw rect, release)
This behavior is due to the different types of text boxes you can add in Pixelmator — free (click to add) or bounded (click and drag to add). If I understand correctly, the issue with the first type is that it's fairly easy to add an accidental text box while adjusting the ones already on the canvas? If that's the case, you could try adding new text layers from the Toolbar or the Insert menu at the top of your screen, then using the Arrange tool to position them on the canvas.

2020-06-16 07:48:23

Yes...
free click to add is not to good.. and, after the creation, can't type .. (it is the second distrubing behavior, same problem with click and drag method)

I think it, double click is better choice for simple textbox creation.

But the main problem is ... I create too many times textbox, by mistake ...

2020-06-16 07:57:47

by Varjubacsi 2020-06-16 07:49:16 Yes...
free click to add is not to good.. and, after the creation, can't type .. (it is the second distrubing behavior, same problem with click and drag method)

I think it, double click is better choice for simple textbox creation.

But the main problem is ... I create too many times textbox, by mistake ...
I agree with you! Double click + type after creation would be much simpler and intuitive - that happens to me, too.

In this area pro apps - photoshop, affinity and pix pro are not doing it the fasters and intuitive way. It works be awesome to rethink old behaviours and adopt to other ways - and mainly pix pro is doing that, it would be amazing also in there text area...

2020-06-16 08:33:00

Now.. I click, create a textbox.. and after this, double click again to edit .. why ? its not quick, not useful ..