Ability to place 'action tooltips' on corners; please show the alternative color somewhere

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-02-07 12:02:30

Hi there!

Action tooltips
I like the idea behind the floating action tooltips that appear when pressing a command as a feedback –specially when undoing a bunch of actions, so it's easy to know when to stop–, but do they have to appear right in the center? Let me explain:

I use Pixelmator for freehand drawing and illustration. Let's say I want to draw a straight line that has to pass through a specific place. I center the view to that place. I make a line. I do not like it. I undo. There's the tooltip right over where I'm supposed to draw again.

I mean, I think it's more logic to place tooltips on the corner than having to work 'not-so-centered' so as not to be disturbed by them.

Alternative color
I discovered not-so-long ago that Pixelmator Pro has indeed a 'secondary/alternative color' you can find by simply pressing the X button. There's no hint that this feature exists unless you bump into it*. No menu button, no UI switcher button, no nothing. Consequently, you have to memorise which color you have stored as secondary/alternative, as it is not displayed anywhere.

Thank you for your time!

———
* P.S. I've just been told Photoshop uses the same shortcut –I was never accustomed to using shortcuts in Windows, and the moment I switched to macOS I started using Pixelmator Pro–.

2021-02-09 10:15:55

Hey! Thanks for the feedback — both valid points/suggestions, although one is easier done than the other. In fact, we're already working on making alternative colors easier to access! As for changing the tooltip location, there aren't that many solutions here, I'm afraid. If the tooltips are really getting in the way, you could turn them off in the Pixelmator Pro preferences.

2021-02-09 10:51:26

by Aurelija 2021-02-09 10:16:14 In fact, we're already working on making alternative colors easier to access!
That's great!
If the tooltips are really getting in the way, you could turn them off in the Pixelmator Pro preferences.
I already tried, but when I did I felt I had dumbed down Pixelmator Pro.

I know by my own experience that coding is more complex than this, but I was thinking how I'd offer the alternatives for placement (if code needed was already implemented) and came up with this mockup. You guys are better than me at UI, but, nonetheless, I wanted to share.

2021-02-09 11:31:48

I hear you and appreciate you taking the time to share the mockup. It definitely looks like an option from the usability side of things. :ok_hand: While I can't promise anything, we'll see what we can do.