I found a way to export non-image PDFs: Can you please add it as a feature?

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-02-09 10:37:06

Here's the list of steps: Export as SVG > Open in Safari > Cmd P > Open in Preview > Save as PDF/a (to include fonts) works to create a PDF. I couldn't find these steps elsewhere. I'm posting it here because this most likely means you should be able to add non-image PDF export convenience shortcut by using system APIs and Quartz PDFcontext, or copying code from WebKit. (I hope that even if you don't add it some people will find these steps helpful)

2021-02-10 15:50:01

Hey Kimoo. We do not currently see vector-based PDF support as a feature for the immediate future but props to you for sharing this awesome workaround!

2021-02-27 17:07:46

Hi! This can be shortened by using directly the File -> export to pdf command in Safari, but unfortunately, this workaround has a huge limitation : a white background is added.

The support of vector-based PDFs would be a really great addition to Pixelmator.

2021-03-02 10:47:35

From what I've found, it looks like Safari (version 14.1) exports to PDF v1.3 by default, while transparency is supported in PDF v1.4 and above. There doesn't seem to be a way to change this at the moment.

2021-03-18 18:16:08

by Aurelija 2021-02-10 21:50:01 Hey Kimoo. We do not currently see vector-based PDF support as a feature for the immediate future but props to you for sharing this awesome workaround!
I've been demoing Pixelmator Pro and really love it, but this is the one feature I need for the project I'm working on. (It would be even better if I could create multi-page pdfs so I wouldn't have to manage multiple documents and combine the pages in a post-processing step.)

For now, I won't be able to use Pixelmator Pro but will keep an eye out. I really hope you add support for vector pdfs with control over which parts of the document have to get rasterized.

2021-03-20 13:32:47

Kimoo,

afetr you export to SVG, you may want to use a third-party utility to convert SVG to PDF. One thing I found (but have not tried myself):

https://github.com/jonnyijapan/pdfify