Pixel Selection Refinements

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-07-05 14:30:38

Hi, I've been using Pixelmator Pro for designing aliased pixel art, but I can't seem to achieve an efficiency with the tools available.

I might be missing or unaware of a few features that would make this type of work more efficient, namely in creating aliased pixel selections.

Currently it seems like it is necessary to use the Selection Tool's "Refine..." menu to adjust the roundness, sharpness, and other selection options in order to achieve an aliased (hard edged) pixel selection.

However this tool is super finicky in trying to make pixel perfect selections. My baseline test is the ease of creating a 1 pixel ringed ellipse with aliased edges. Its really difficult to make this with the tools current features.

With an aliased selection tool, you could just make 2 ellipses, one that is 1 pixel smaller and use that pixel selection to delete the center of a larger outer ring. But this task is currently a multi-step process with the "Refine..." palette, and the results aren't always perfect and require a lot of cleanup.

I wish there was an option to just make selections either aliased or non-aliased, or have a Selection Tool's "Refine..." menu preset to where a default can be set for all of the roundness, sharpness, etc. settings. This latter option wouldn't be perfect, but more of a quick fix.

2021-07-08 07:53:33

I wish there was an option to just make selections either aliased or non-aliased, or have a Selection Tool's "Refine..." menu preset to where a default can be set for all of the roundness, sharpness, etc. settings. This latter option wouldn't be perfect, but more of a quick fix.
That's a known limitation of the current selection algorithm. We have selection improvements in mind for Pixelmator Pro updates a bit further on down the line.