(1) Suppress file open dialog on start (2) automatically create new file with clipboard image

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-07-07 14:15:56

Photoshop has two extremely nice and useful behaviours: when you launch the application, it doesn't bother you with any dialogs; and if you go Command-n to create a new file and you have an image in your clipboard, it creates the file with that image. This is an extremely common use case.

The Pixelmator launch behaviour is clunky in comparison. Every time I launch the app, Pixelmator assumes I want to open a file and pops up the annoying file browser dialog. I want to create a new file, damn it! I know how to open files. Why are you making me stop to deal with this dialog?

It would be such a nice experience if I could turn that dialog off, and even more wonderful if Pixelmator understood that when I have an image in my clipboard I'm intending to create an image file with it.

I know the dialog shows the recently copied image as one of its options. But again, it forces me to lift my hands off the keyboard and go hunt for my mouse.

2021-07-08 08:39:47

Thanks for the feedback! Have you tried creating new documents from the Pixelmator Pro icon in the Dock? Control-clicking the icon brings up the New from Clipboard option right away, so you wouldn't have to deal with the Open dialog at all.

2021-07-08 09:05:26

Thanks Aurelija, good to know. Unfortunately that option only works when Pixelmator Pro is already running, but it gives me something to work with.

2021-07-08 10:03:59

Indeed, you have to launch Pixelmator Pro for this option to become available. Hope you'll find a use for this in your workflow!